Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: WPT..are they making Deals?

[ QUOTE ]
After watching the WPT 'show' last night, I cannot help but think at least the top two finishers must have made a deal. If so, I didn't think they allowed deals.

I thought for much of the show, thier play was often borderline foolish, rediculious.

I will probably take some heat for this post (that's OK) but at more than one point I nearly couldn't watch the silliness anymore. didn't feel it was professional.

Would appreciate any opinions on this issue. I realize without some 'drama, excitement' it might hurt ratings, but I can't BELIEVE for that kind of money (nearly $2.5 MILLION), those two players would play the way they did.

Comments please, thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No deal was even discussed.

[ QUOTE ]
didn't feel it was professional

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still enjoying amateur status. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the WPT banned deals in 2003 after Paul Phillips and Mel Judah made a deal at the Bike. Feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed, but that was my recollection. I am not sure which mistakes you are talking about that would have indicated a deal might have taken place. I saw a lot of gambling...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure you are right. I think I saw something about dealmaking being banned on the wpt after that.

personally, I don't think are too many deals going on. it's not just another tournament, and a lot of people would like to have a wpt title.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 AM

Were you taking a long time to make your decisions during the show? It seemed so, but TV often can be edited to look one way or the other, just curious, have noticed here that the folks at ESPN and TC seem to have favorites and make them seem better than the other players, at the detriment of the rest of the field.
Congrats BTW onthe finish.

tobdog
Old 04-15-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the posts guys.

I'll stand by what I saw. It often looked like two guys trying to give it away.

Take for example the week before, no comparison IMO to the play by Lane and others. Or the week before, or before that.

With the chip stacks so high, I can see no reason to play so sloppily with ALL due respect. I tape all of these poker shows and had to look hard to find such bad plays (esp. for that kind of money). I thought Umberto played just fine, his usual tough game of tournament NL.

Unless I'm mistaken there was a 1/2 a MILLION $ "difference" between first and second, hardly chump change.

As far as the second place finisher goes, if that's you, congrats. Your 'excuse' about being a 'non pro', you HAVE to play pretty damn well to outlast over 600 players for four days and of course you would know that.. Much more than four days of 'luck'. But when you put all of that money in with the ace -7, that's when I begin to think you three had made a deal. Can't see any reason to make that play given both your stack and Umberto's. When you said you thought you had the best hand, how on earth could you believe that?

I got the distinct impression the head up play was to "put on a show", which I guess was done. hard to believe that ANYONE that's not already wealthy would play for the 1/2 million $ difference the way you both did.

I only hope the WPT isn't pressured into turning the final 2, 3 players on the tube looking like a World Wrestling event. As a full time poker player, I was embarrassed by the play I saw the other night.

Go ahead, let me have it...I'm being honest about the way I saw it, sorry if I offend anyone. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Maybe neither of them wanted the Wampam (SP?) belt.