Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Raise this river? Aces up...

Why are you limping? Limping on the button in an unopened pot is a bit unusual.

Villain must be reaaaally horrible for a raise to be correct on the river imo.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can he be a calling station AND a LAG (Loose Aggressive)?
He almost certainly has a 2. I still call, but he has a 2. (I dont raise here for sure).

[/ QUOTE ]
A)He is a calling station because he calls too much, he is a LAG because he bets too much. I.e. if he's not calling, he's betting. He doesn't know the meaning of the word fold. If you cut out folding, you'd be surprised how much room there is for both too much betting AND too much calling! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

B)He almost certainly has nothing. If he has something, why wouldn't he bet the flop? However, if he has a hand, a 2 seems like a reasonable option, I agree, because it would fit with his chasing ridiculousness on the turn and also with his passivity on the flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

raise preflop

bet the flop

river you should call

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. i understand he is a calling station, but i would still rather bet the flop so i have the option of checking behind the turn/river. if you check the flop, he will bet the turn alot with a worse hand and you will be forced to fold. if he is truly lag, you can even min bet the the turn to keep momentum, and check behind river with your ace high (this is all hypothetical) it is a move i use alot in limit vs lags, no reason it wouldnt work here too

as for the river, bla just call. you cant be sure he isnt dumb enough to 3 bet some 2 pair hand and force you to fold, etc. just call and see his hand. it might be slightly -EV to do so, but against an opponent that you cant control, i dont mind that. on the other hand, i will take every +EV situation against passive players, as if they raise i can safely fold everytime

Old 04-14-2005, 02:16 PM

If he almost certainly has nothing, raise an amount you think he will call.

Against a bad lag/calling station, I'll raise on the river with a similar 2 pair hand every time.

You want to be raising against these opponents as much as possible. The more you raise them the greater chance you have of doubling through.

Should he push or reraise after you raise, I'd probably call. I might lose occasionally to the str8t, but more often against this type of player I expect to be shown a 1 pair hand. Should I lose, then I rebuy and fully expect to recoup my loss.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:28 PM

the board is one off a straight and you don't have it. you need to call.

i think he's bluffing or donking with a J here maybe 50% of the time, which makes calling there a more than profitable choice. raising would be suicide.

fim
Old 04-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Against most players I totally agree. But against a bad lag/calling station, I have trouble seeing why a raise is suicide. Some of the time this player will have a str8t but most of the time he won't.

I can't see him having any part of the flop. He'd definitely bet the flop with any jack.

He may have picked up the draw on the turn. But if he did hit the str8t on the river, I'd expect him to overbet most of the time.

I'd put him on a bluff or ace 75% of the time.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:05 PM

Why no raise PF?

Raise PF, bet the flop (yes, I know he is a calling station). See how things go from there.

As for the given situation, I just call. I definitely don't raise, as I don't want to face a re-raise from a worse hand that will force me to fold, and I also am not putting it past him having a deuce.

-Trail
Old 04-14-2005, 04:29 PM

i dont think raising is suicide here at all, though we agree that the best play is probably calling. i call fully expecting to win 60 or 70 % of the time, and expect him to flat call my small raise almost every time with whatever hand he bet with.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:45 PM

If you call, he may have A3, though probably not JJ. I wouldn't necessarily put him on a 2 at this point.

Regardless, he's got a huge stack, so call and make a note. Every note that you can put on this guy could potentially be worth $75.

--Dave.

Edit: Whoops, two errors here:
1) paying for free info sucks
2) you already know

Sorry.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think raising is suicide here at all, though we agree that the best play is probably calling. i call fully expecting to win 60 or 70 % of the time, and expect him to flat call my small raise almost every time with whatever hand he bet with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking along these lines except I thought the chances that he would call my raise were pretty slim since I really didn't think he had anything (figured he would have fired earlier) unless he just hit a straight in which case I obviously didn't want to raise. He was a calling station early in the hand, for sure, but I hadn't seen him call any raises on the river (since he usually blew people out first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). In any case, I called and he showed me 85. Can't believe he hit the flop and didn't fire. Doubt he would call a raise, here, though with a scary ace on the board. Anyways, thanks for the help. I thought this one was a bit interesting despite the tiny pot.