Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: 100 party NL

What important in NL is not so much what you have as what your opponent has. Your reraise disguised your hand pre-flop in that most players wont make this raise with AK. The information lacking in this situation is what you think your opponents have. I like knowing how they bet hands before i try generating such a large pot as you have with your reraise before the flop. Would utg bet with AJ here? would MP chase a flush draw (is he likely to call a Preflop raise with suited connectors, or is he a solid player playing any PP to a raise) by flatcalling?

It's hard to say whether either has you beat but i think you made the safe and probably correct laydown given your information. If I were utg with AJ i would probably lead but a lot of players would let the PFR do the betting for them so we need some of this information before coming over the top. I hoenstly believe you have utg beat but MP is another question altogether. Note what type of hands he'll call preflop raises with and your game will improve dramatically, espeically in six max games where you'll be butting heads with everyone on the table quite often.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing is a crime here.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your line then? I think you overestimate the 100NL 6maxer's.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 PM

I feel good with preflop reraise but I feel you should have made it more. for 6 dollars more, its an easy call and if the first guy calls then the second will call as well.

I would have repopped it to $15 preflop instead of $10.

calling is also ok with AK since you are in position. But 3 way I don't like calling as I will only flop the A or K 1/3 of the time and the other 2/3rds I'm forced to fold the flop even if the other guy is making a continuation bet on the flop. I used to call with AK alot in position because I wanted to trap AQ, AJ but since then I've limited doing this.

Since you only trap AQ, AJ if flop comes with A no Q no J. thats fairly rare. The times it comes say K rag rag, you don't get anything additional out of it.

The way you have played it, I fold the flop. call me tight weak but the only way you have the best hand is if one guy has AJ or AT and other guy has flush draw. If thats the case you still have to avoid getting outdrawn on by a lot of cards.

I doubt you can get AQ to fold with a raise.

I think flop is fold.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 PM

what time was this and played?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:32 AM

I dont like your raise to 10. If you are going to reraise then I think you would like to take the pot down there and then, or at least limit it to 2-players. Make it 15, or even 20 to go and maybe you take it down. I hate reraising to build a pot with AK (especially AKo), as it gives me nightmares when I hit my A or K and get action later in the hand and I feel obliged to play for my stack (it also gives me nightmares when I miss, and the pot is now large, and the caller is likely to have a pair, as I have to either give it up, or bet and hope he folds (a big bet)).

Sooooo,
1. Reraise is ok - but I prefer it to be used to try to take the pot down now, rather than to build the pot.
2. On the flop, I think I laydown here also. A ~pot bet and a call, suggests that at least one of the players has me beat. The leader raised in the first place, so he could easily have QQ or AQ. The caller called a raise and a small reraise. He could have AQ or 44 or two clubs.

I lay it down, but I either smooth call the pf raise, or make it much more.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:06 AM

Can't believe people are telling you to lay this down. Also don't like the flop re-raise. You should definitely make it more. Most likely hand for UTG is a dominated ace or a coin-flipping pair. Most likely hand for MP is a pocket pair (or possibly a suited ace - he is unknown, after all). Re-raise to actually give them a chance to fold, not just to build a pot. There is already $8 + your bet in the pot when it gets back to UTG. I would make it $20 so that he is looking at calling another $16. I would be very willing to let UTG fold his AQ/AJ if it means that MP will also fold his 88 (since he is not really deep enough to call for set value). And if he does call for set value, I want him folding if he misses and I think re-raising is definitely the best way to get that to happen. In that case, you will also make more than if he check/folds the flop this way.

And on the flop, there is no way you can fold once you hit. UTG could have AJ/AK/KK/JJ/TT/KQ/KJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Remember this is 6m so even UTG there has to be some allowance for loose raising. And if MP had a made hand, he would raise to knock out your potential flush draw. Especially on a flush draw board, he is likely to get action from UTG if he raises since it could easily be a semi-bluff. So from the flat call, I would say that MP has either a low flush draw (34[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?) or a weak ace (AJs?).

I think your best move is to call and to see what happens on the turn. If UTG bets into the field again, then you can probably assume that you are beat and fold. But just from a continuation bet, I think it is much more likely that you are ahead. If it is checked to you on the turn, you should certainly bet. If UTG checks and MP bets, you will have to figure out what to do. Probably fold. But I think there is way too high a chance that you are ahead and that it will be checked to you on the turn for you to fold this.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:36 AM

My line is call, and bet the turn if checked to and it's not a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Pushing $200 here into a $70 pot when you could easily be beat and stand 0% chance of making money from a dominated hand is seriously the worst line possible.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:07 AM

I don't like this situation all. It looks like there is a good chance you may be beat, however stack sizes are very important here.

Since you are about equal with UTG stack wise, if for some reason both players end up getting it all in and you still remain in the hand what UTG has will end up being more important than what MP has since the side pot will be large enough to cover and losses sustained from MP. Honestly I think UTG flop lead out looks pretty weak. It looks like he has a weak ace and wants to win the hand right now, I put him on something as weak as Axs to as strong as AK, I am not going to include QQ because most loose passive at this level will not bet a set like this in this early of position, especially since you have demonstrated strength with the late position reraise. So there is a decent chance that you are ahead here of UTG here, and the only hand you need to worry about is AQ.

MP looks to be quite passive so his call can mean a lot of things, but it mostly likely means that he hit that flop pretty well. He may hold a hand as strong as QQ, and his call is very typical of a player holding this hand. Other likely hands include, J10c, K10c, KJc, or some other strange club combination. He might have AQ, but calling would be strange with that hand here. Basically it looks like he is not going away.

A $100 re raise lets you find out where you are in the hand. But I don't really like that play here as it commits you to a pot that you may be very far behind. One of the plays that no one has commented on is to just flat call here. It's really not that bad of a play as you are getting great odds (about 4:1) on your call. If you do just flat call here the turn action will really let you know where you are at and you can take things from there. If the turn does come a club, I think it is very likely to get checked around giving you a free card, if mayhem ensues on a club you can drop out real quick. If the turn comes a blank, and UTG makes another big bet (likely) I may favor a push depending on the actions of MP.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Results

Well i folded and they both checked the turn and river, UTG had A10s and the other a flush draw, i guess when he instant called the 25 i shoulda put him on that.

Thanks for all the input, definatly gave me things to think about.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your best move is to call and to see what happens on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the plays that no one has commented on is to just flat call here. It's really not that bad of a play as you are getting great odds (about 4:1) on your call. If you do just flat call here the turn action will really let you know where you are at and you can take things from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]