Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: hand long can I last in a live game?

On a good nights rest i finished off my last vegas trip with a 30 hour session. I wanted to play till my flight and couldnt fit in some sleep. Started at 2-5NL and moved to 10-20. Towards the end i was a bit delerious but it was definitely +EV. My best guess is somewhere around 48 hr session if you get real hopped up on diet cokes/coffee and hot chocolate.

A good player/friend tried to put a move on me at the 10-20. I raised UTG w/ KK, he 3 bet me in the BB, i 4 bet, he called, flop Axx, check check, turn pairs the middle card and puts 3 clubs on board, he bets, i raise, he 3 bets and i call him down on the turn and river to see 9 high.

"How did you call me down"-him
"Im too tired to consider folding kings"-me.

Good luck and dont listen to all these sissies that say the game will be there when you get back...how do they know for sure?

-JMP
Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 PM

longest session ever was 46 hours, ended up about +0.4BB/hr. I've had several winning ~30hr sessions though and that shouldn't be a big deal for a youngster like yourself.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Longest I've ever played is 8 hours. I don't enjoy playing when I feel sluggish.

Might see you up at Rama this summer. I tend to only go once every month or two, but I do enjoy it up there.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the bus there and back from Toronto, it takes about 3 hours each way

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this bus stop 20 times on the way? 3 hours? I drive there in 50 minutes!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM

I played 30 hours at brantford last year during this same "how long can i play cause commute sucks" phase, I almost died driving home.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:25 PM

I'm 21 and I normally play a 10-12 hour session with no problem. I would imagine I could play as much as 18 while still playing good poker.

-Yarney
Old 04-13-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the bus there and back from Toronto, it takes about 3 hours each way

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this bus stop 20 times on the way? 3 hours? I drive there in 50 minutes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it does.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played 30 hours at brantford last year during this same "how long can i play cause commute sucks" phase, I almost died driving home.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the point I wanted to make. To anyone who pulls marathon sessions like this, *PLEASE* don't drive home when you are tired. I did this about 3 years ago. I wasn't playing poker, but I decided I could drive home (2 hr) even though I was tired. It was about a 105 mile trip, but I only made it 100. 5 miles from home I fell asleep and drifted into oncoming traffic. I hit the side of a Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a boat. Fortunately, the only injury in the Jeep was a broken leg. As for me, when I took out the boat it ripped the roof off of my truck. I was very lucky to only crush my arm and hand. Lost my driving finger on my right hand (middle finger). If you are tired, pull over and take a 15 minute power nap. I've done this several times since my wreck. I'm not saying don't play marathon sessions, but if you do, be safe about getting home.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 PM

if the bus takes 3 hours each way, buy a car. +EV.

though i suppose you can take a bus home after playing for 20 hours, while driving might be too dangerous.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the point I wanted to make. To anyone who pulls marathon sessions like this, *PLEASE* don't drive home when you are tired. I did this about 3 years ago. I wasn't playing poker, but I decided I could drive home (2 hr) even though I was tired. It was about a 105 mile trip, but I only made it 100. 5 miles from home I fell asleep and drifted into oncoming traffic. I hit the side of a Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a boat. Fortunately, the only injury in the Jeep was a broken leg. As for me, when I took out the boat it ripped the roof off of my truck. I was very lucky to only crush my arm and hand. Lost my driving finger on my right hand (middle finger). If you are tired, pull over and take a 15 minute power nap. I've done this several times since my wreck. I'm not saying don't play marathon sessions, but if you do, be safe about getting home.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice, and I am glad you said it. I don't think it applies to my situation, but I think it definitely applies to everybody in general.