Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Down to three, put the shortstack all in?

you're costing yourself a lot of chips (in EV) if you fold. you'd have to have a very compelling reason, such as the 2nd stack announcing "i won't play a hand till he's out."
Old 04-12-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're costing yourself a lot of chips (in EV) if you fold. you'd have to have a very compelling reason, such as the 2nd stack announcing "i won't play a hand till he's out."

[/ QUOTE ]

If he folds, he only loses 5K and is left with 145k, the shortstack will be left with 2.5BB. If he pushes and wins he wont gain a significant advantage heads up versus the other player, they will be even. with a hand like 103o its a coinflip vs whatever the small blind has. and I dont want to double up the smallstack here.

The other big stack may just be playing to get at least 2nd, folding his blinds easily trying to get that extra 4k. Im hoping to take advantage of this style of playing. I could easily steal both the blinds next hands. I dont necessarily bust the big stack, I just want to establish a 2 to 1 chiplead vs him.

I would also consider when and what the blinds are going to go up to. a 10kBB with 150k isnt too comfortable for me.

Im not trying to disagree with or argue with anyone, simply showing a different strategy to this situation which may or not be correct.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:55 PM

That strat would be a lot better if the other two stacks weren't even.

As it stands, the first person to go all in between the other two wins any blind confrontation unless the other guy has kings or better, which means that unless you want to push every hand to win the blinds (and hope the SS doesn't call) you should try to bust him now.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he folds, he only loses 5K and is left with 145k, the shortstack will be left with 2.5BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if he calls and loses, that gives him just over 3 BB. Not a huge difference.

[ QUOTE ]
If he pushes and wins he wont gain a significant advantage heads up versus the other player, they will be even.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls and loses, they will be "even" too, so what's to lose, following this reasoning?

[ QUOTE ]
with a hand like 103o its a coinflip vs whatever the small blind has. and I dont want to double up the smallstack here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving the smallstack more equity by folding, I'm pretty sure.

My other problem with your reasoning: the other stack has now just watched you fold getting great odds to the shortstack. He's now going to think, "Wow! This other guy is a pansy. He's going to fold until the short guy busts out!" if he's any good, and then the situation that you thought you'd just set up for yourself is suddenly reversed. I think it's a much different beast if you have, say, 2x the other guy's stack and he is in any danger of busting. But, as is, I don't think your plan is going to work at all and is likely to end up getting you run over more often than not.