Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Getting my head around SSHE

Yes, I found exactly the same thing. I started off on the Lee Jones book, then I got hold of a free copy of Internet Texas Hold 'em from www.internettexasholdem.com. Read both of these twice, and then I bought SSHE, which I didn't really struggle with at all. I have read it 3 times and am starting to consistently win money at the .5/1 tables.
A very good book, but easier to understnad if you have read simpler ones beforehand.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:18 PM

Hey everyone,

I designed one, too. I created spreadsheets for both tight and loose games that list all hands in order from AA to 22 along the x-axis, and list the game situation along the y-axis. If someone would like it, I'd be happy to send it out. I would also really appreciate it if a little more advanced player would take a look at it and let me know if I screwed anything up.

It's an xls file, though, so unfortunately you'll need Excel to view it.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 PM

to everybody who is trying to get the hand charts into an "at-a-glane" type format: YOU"RE WASTING YOUR TIME!!!! Check the FAQ. One of the threads at the bottom is "starting hand requirements" or something similar.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Carson's publisher also has a much better book designer.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:44 PM

I read HEFAP first, then dabbled with TOP, got WLLH and SSH at the same time, read through WLLH first which has made SSH easier to grasp.

I'll go back to HEFAP and TOP at some point but am concentrating on reading SSH and like others I read, play, read, play and see if anything clicks. Things do click now better than they did in the past.

Interesting thing, I found that I had been applying some of the principles of SSH before I read it. Must be the osmosis factor from the first two books I read.

I don't think it is a matter of trying to incorporate everything I read in SSH at once but playing and recognizing situations that are described.

Good stuff.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to everybody who is trying to get the hand charts into an "at-a-glane" type format: YOU"RE WASTING YOUR TIME!!!! Check the FAQ. One of the threads at the bottom is "starting hand requirements" or something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wasting our time"? Interesting observation. :-) Reading the solution to a math problem is different from working it out for yourself.

I found it EXTREMELY helpful to spend the time translating Ed's charts into a one-page matrix. Condensing starting hands by action/position forced me to really take a close and active look at just what he's recommending. I have a better understanding because of the exercise.

In fact, I withdraw my offer to post/email mine - I think everyone should do it for themselves...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Good point!!! I got pwned by a n00b. I guess it would be wasting your time if you aready had the charts down and had a good understanding of them. But you're right, that's an AWESOME way to learn them. nh.