Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Bottom set, a TON of action, slow down?

First off... I'm aware that "sets over sets" don't happen that often.

That said, Button certainly looks like he's holding KK. (The way I see it, there are only three other possibilities: AA or AK... likely A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or 99).

There are times when the hand action outweighs the "mathematical probability" of a hand... again, I'm leaning HEAVILY towards Button having a set of kings... IN WHICH CASE, YOU'RE DRAWING TO ONE OUT.

(SB either has a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flush draw, or paired King with a good kicker. Who the hell knows what MP2 has; probably a straight or flush draw.)

EDIT: I change my original opinion. I just played around with some pokerstove numbers and Hero has a HUGE equity advantage over this field, even considering Button's range of hands.... I say keep raising this pot. Only slow down if a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - that doesn't fill you up - falls on the river. Also, be cautious of a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the river. I'd still raise a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but would just call if re-raised back.

Adam
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 PM

good point about the flush draw..given his position relative to the betting..but it would have to be AQ or maybe Ajs given the 3 bet dont ya think?
Also im not sure the QQ-99 would really be jamming this flop and turn 'to punish the draws'..as you point out there are a lot of callers...QQ has to look pretty small by the turn.
I cant see he'd 3 bet and continue to jam with anything giving 2 pr...
that leaves (1)AA and he's in denial (real possibility) (2)AK..would think AK would slow down (3) KK (4) AQc AJc (5) 99-slim.

what do you think?

Brian
Old 04-11-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, MP2 calls, Hero....

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts....

Three bet. If its capped, call it and crawl into the check call shell. Without decent reads, spewing chips with bottom set doesn't happen until the river.

Stu
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Three bet. If its capped, call it and crawl into the check call shell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion.

However, given Button's (albeit narrow) range of hands, I believe Hero still holds a large equity advantage here.

Further, doesn't the presence of TWO other callers buffer the times when Button actually has KK or 99, and actually ADD to Hero's equity advantage?

Adam
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM

3-bet. You're supposed to lose a lot of money against a bigger set. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 01:47 AM

While it is a rare occurance, being up against a bigger set is usually a big loss. However, the chances of you AND another players hitting a set on the flop is minimal (around 1%). The chances of them hitting a set on you AFTER the flop are 2/46+2/47= 8.6%. So, the chances of you hitting a set on the flop and having to pay off a bigger set are small (9.6% of the time when you hit your set). And that is IF you are sure they have a big pair. I think you need to be worried more about 4 card straights and 4 flushes destroying your set than you do being 'out setted'