Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 200 NL Buy-in What happened here?

I forgot to mention the original raiser is someone who plays constanly at 1-2 NL 200 table like myself. So I did put him on this hand and felt very confident in my read. Im not sure what stakes you play at, But I play this all the time and I am a winning player. The min raise was wrong, I was really just messing around I didnt expect the button to make a play like that. But through experience I feel you can pinpoint someone on a close range of hands. You know when you have a strong feeing but you dont want to believe it so you fold and you would have won the pot. Thats what this is like. You see idiots making plays like this over and over again. So I just feel confident in my read at this game against this player. I think your post is right on and I do agree this happens alot. But I do play with this player quite a bit so I should have stated that. Thanks for your post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Yeah I agree, and then after I made the call I saw him earlier raise someone on the flop like this but not as strong and fold quickly to a re-raise. I feel in the end I made a bad call and got lucky. I want to ask one more question do you think if I re-raised pre-flop say to 25 that the UtG+2 would have put me on AA. I feel like raising like that does define my hand since the original raiser is looking at his hand and seeing well I dont have AA but I got kk
Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 PM

yes, if i raised preflop, hopefully he would have pushed and i would have called. if he just called and checked to me, i'd check behind to make him think i had a missed AK or whatever. he'd probably bet the turn, i'd call. he'd bet the river, i'd raise. if he led the flop, i'd let him continue betting into me until the pot was big enough to push my stack in.

something along those lines...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:19 PM

What hands do you typically re-raise with pre-flop? Sounds like UTG+1 and you have played a bit together based on what you have been saying so that should help you determine that.

But you did say that at the moment you have a loose image. If that is true then they will be less likely to put you on AA here and you can take advantage of that.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:22 PM

It depends where I am and the action that has taken place. There is a good chance in this game if someone utg makes it 7 or 8 to go that 5 callers will come in. If I am CO button or even sb bb I re-raise with my strong starting hands. On the button I may even re-raise with 1010 JJ
Old 04-11-2005, 02:58 PM

I fold every time without a strong read.

You could easily have UTG beat but I can't imagine you're ahead of the button. Now do you have over 33% pot equity here???? I'm not sure but I suspect you don't.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:03 PM

"if he just called and checked to me, i'd check behind to make him think i had a missed AK or whatever."

This probably looses you money in the long run..first of all I would only do this if I knew he had KK-JJ, but you really don't know his hand...second if the board gets scary either you leave money on the table or you lose the whole pot...I would almost always bet the flop.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:24 PM

I dont agree with the check behind on the flop either. Depending on the range of hands he could have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or some other draw, either way you need to make him pay for his draw or give him a chance to push with his overpair on the flop. I think a reraise preflop would have resulted in him pushing and there would be no need for the trap you talked about.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM

Good Post, I think my main problem with this hand is preflop though. Im reraising here 100% of the time. His raise in that position could be anything, from AQ-KK. I raise bc if hes got AK or AQ hes not giving you any more money after the flop if he doesnt hit. If hes holding QQ or KK, with a low flop an average player is getting his money in regarldess of how you define your hand preflop, so might as well juice it while you can.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"if he just called and checked to me, i'd check behind to make him think i had a missed AK or whatever."

This probably looses you money in the long run..first of all I would only do this if I knew he had KK-JJ, but you really don't know his hand...second if the board gets scary either you leave money on the table or you lose the whole pot...I would almost always bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

look, this wasn't a general way to play it, but with a specific read that he has KK/QQ/JJ/AK, checking behind on the flop is a good way to make him feel better after reraising to isolate preflop. it's not that risky when they're drawing to two outs.