Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Was this a bad play?

[ QUOTE ]
your play was fine. If you are playing to win, and not just make the money then you have to be aggressive. You got a player with a dominated hand to call (which is what you want when you feel you are the best at the table....dont push with a slight edge, but wait for a bigger one...make them make the big mistakes).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm starting to really think I should have just re-raised to 12k or so and go from there. I know what you mean about playing to win, but when I have as many chips as I did and blinds are big enough to make steals very profitable at a weak final table, I like to rely on stack protection, small accumulation, and not making overly risky plays, and it has always worked well for me. Shorter stacks will generally make the risky plays and take care of one another while you sit back and wait for a clear-cut hand (i.e. post-flop). I just don't think I should have risked as many chips as I did there, pre-flop anyway. I dunno, for some reason that particular hand has been bothering me (and I had a few FAR worse beats throughout that tourney than that one, so it's not that) that's why I'm just rambling on about it.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:07 AM

"I'm starting to really think I should have just re-raised to 12k or so and go from there"

Dont be so results (negative in this case) oriented. Make this same play, every time, with the same caller, and you are way ahead over time. If you had a good read on him, and you are convinced he calls all his chips in as a 4:1 dog push away!

p.s. I'm nobody
Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 AM

If you thought he would call your push, you played it perfectly.

Raising it to 12K, like fjord said is the way most skilled players would play it. I think an observant player would be suspicious of the 12K raise. I would be wondering why he did not push. He is certainly not folding to my push.

Also, a more riskier play is to call. Some players like to see the flop with 99-JJ and then go all in when the board is 8 high. I sometimes get trapped here when holding 10-10 and my opponent smooth calls or I call his raise. He is sitting on KK, like yourself. If my chips were a little deeper, I would raise with 10-10 and if he calls, then I would take one stab at it after the flop and fold if I am messed with unless I do hit the board hard. (i.e. set, 3 card flush, straight)

You ended up getting them all-in pf which would have happened after the flop.

Stipe
Old 04-12-2005, 11:37 AM

I guess it depends on how many places pay, what the payout structure is, and whether you were just in it to place or win. I've seen people on this forum advocate laying pocket aces down if you are close to the money and are just waiting to guarantee a payoff.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I'm starting to really think I should have just re-raised to 12k or so and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason we don't care is because, had you reraised to 12K, the other guy would likely have pushed (or called/pushed the flop, etc.) and you'd be back here asking whether you were better off pushing PF.

It's perfectly human to question a play that results in a bad beat, but it's also perfectly human to bitch about seeing the same post 50,000 times.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen people on this forum advocate laying pocket aces down if you are close to the money and are just waiting to guarantee a payoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those people play horrible poker.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason we don't care is because, had you reraised to 12K, the other guy would likely have pushed (or called/pushed the flop, etc.) and you'd be back here asking whether you were better off pushing PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but is that not one of the points of this forum?

[ QUOTE ]
It's perfectly human to question a play that results in a bad beat, but it's also perfectly human to bitch about seeing the same post 50,000 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 says there are more posts bitching about seeing the same posts all the time than original posts that elicit such responses...[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 02:01 PM

The reason for the reaction you are getting is you asked a really stupid question. Poker is a gambling game and there is no sure thing. You can't complain about getting your money in a 4-1 favorite. I think you are taking a weak/tight approach.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the reaction you are getting is you asked a really stupid question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, what a shocker - another elitist/sarcastic reply! Thanks for wasting your time and mine!

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a gambling game and there is no sure thing. You can't complain about getting your money in a 4-1 favorite. I think you are taking a weak/tight approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not complaining. Read all relevant information (or get a dictionary) before you comment next time. And yes, you're right, a re-raise to 10x BB as I am discussing (or 33x BB as I actually did) is clearly weak-tight.

Go harass this guy if you feel the need to bash someone.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM

The elitist on this forum more or less know how to play poker. Please don't be offended, but listen to what they are telling you.