Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Table selection related to Irieguys post

yeah i was thinking that too!! very good idea. I'm going to start that tommorow first thing, thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 AM

are there any other methods that anyone is using for their table selection? This post will help us all I think? We will be able to stay away from other 2+2ers
Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 AM

yea now that I'm consistently playing the 20's and 30's I would like some method to try and avoid people I know would be tough competition but don't really know how to go about it.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:47 AM

This is a fantastic post where you don't really give away anything, I like that, lots to think about though.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in my opinion, it's a little more complicated than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just giving a hasty answer that I thought would be enough for the OP, but I'm glad you elaborated

[ QUOTE ]
If a player is a pro, and I know that, I don't mind sitting to their right as long as they don't know me (which is sometimes possible since I play under several different accounts.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always done this. Even if they do know me a little.

[ QUOTE ]
If they do know me, I don't mind sitting to their immediate left if I think I rate to know how to counter their adjustment to me better than they can adjust to me (if that makes sense.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This and

[ QUOTE ]
In both of these situations I feel that I am better off than I would be playing against a random player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I currently don't agree with entirely, except that you are clearly at an advantage to the left of the pro in level 1-3(4). I am going to think about this a lot more.

[ QUOTE ]
But the bottom line is the zero-sum nature of a SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree with this and think it strongly conflicts with your previous argument about prefering a semi-predictable pro to an unknown.

[ QUOTE ]
or if you could use his non-exploitable play as a weapon by proxy to help extract additional dollars from poor playing opponents(a topic perhaps worthy of its own thread some day.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This I have thought about and have actually done in a few SNGs recently. It can be extremly powerful and can also be done in a way that gives yourself less risk then usual. The chips stacks usually have to be just right as well as your relative position at the table.

As for personal adjustments... I have a little something I like to call.. the spite call. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 AM

Interesting post. I wonder if higher limits take longer to fill up, because at 22$ you basically have to pick a seat and hope you end up ok. If too many skilled players join you can try to leave the table. But to specifically target someone is something I don't think I would have time for most of the time. There is the odd table that takes 20 secs to fill up of course, but that is pretty rare.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The most practical way is to only add notes to good players. That way you will see the little icon in the bottom left corner by their name when you sit down. Too many icons and you might want to skip that game.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm going to assume I must be retarted for not knowing how to do this, but could somoene explain how if its not too complicated? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to assume I must be retarted for not knowing how to do this, but could somoene explain how if its not too complicated? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, the retarTed meme needs to die.

Right click on the player's name when you're at the table and click "Player Notes" or the functionally equivalent piece of text. Type what you want. Afterwards, you will notice in the bottom left corner of the box that contains their name a little notepad. This is the icon that was mentioned in an earlier post. This assumes Party, and varies from place to place. At Stars, for example, opponents you have notes on will have an N at the bottom of their avatar ring.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This I currently don't agree with entirely, except that you are clearly at an advantage to the left of the pro in level 1-3(4). I am going to think about this a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pro is going to be playing so few hands lev 1-3 that it really doesn't matter where he's sitting.

The real advantage comes level 4+ where your position to his left negates a good deal of his fold equity because he knows that you know he'll be pushing with junk a good percentage of the time.

This of course only applies if he knows you are also a pro.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 PM

My general rule is 2 decent or better players means I move on to another table. There are plenty to be had, even at the $200 level.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it's not clear to me what you gain by sitting to his right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand the gap concept?