Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: NEPC hand....

This is the thought process that I took. I figured the only hands that would make an easy call were AA, KK, and QQ. Contingent on my read of him not being that strong I made my move. Hands like 88-JJ would be very difficult to call in this spot leaving only 4k left if he were to lose. The problem was that he was one of the weaker players (relatively) at my table. What hands do people call with here and what can you lay down. I think I call only with AA, KK and maybe QQ. Anyone?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: NEPC hand....

Describing him as "weak" is fine, but in what sense? Is he weak-tight, as in, he'll talk himself into folding QQ? Or is he weak as in he'll call a push with 99?

Obviously, you have more of a read on him than I do, and some of this depends on your own table image. If you've been playing relatively few hands, this gives him a reason to fear your push. Obviously AA-KK call you here, and QQ will most times as well. Whether he calls or fold with TT-JJ depends on his read of you--personally (although I may be looser than most), I call with JJ and fold TT.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Results

I hadnt seen him play enough hands do give a fair weak-tight or weak-loose image. I felt he hand played a previously hand poorly and was looking to make a comeback on the 1st hand of the new level. His bet size of just under 6bb just reeked of something not right. (I felt AA, KK, QQ would not ever raise this much and all other hands he would fold to my all-in)

In the end, he waited 5 minutes looked like he wanted to muck repeatedly but made a crying call with 10-10. Unfortunately, the board came 2-2-5-9-3 and my hand was no good.

I initially questioned my decision to put the tournament on the line with a coin flip at best, but am starting to think this was a solid move with him having a high folding equity based on my weak read. Unfortunately he called off his tournament with a close hand and it held up. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Results

You wrote that you thought he was trying to steal UG.
People don't steal from UG. Too many players to get by.
What you sensed was a made hand that did not want over pairs drawing.
I figured him for 99-QQ not wanting to see a flop w/ A or K in it. I would have mucked in this spot, because the best I could hope for was a coin flip, which you got.

Pete
Old 04-10-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Results

This is a very true observation. I felt that he was very weak and would not call an all in. In the case he did call my all-in I felt that he did not hold AA-KK-QQ and i was a coin flip at worst. Obviously this is not a good play if I feel he will call with 88 or better. However, I thought he would dump almost instantly, but I must have given information about my weakness that led him to call.