Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: A Murder In Progress At Hospice LaGrange

Dead, weren't you the one who coined the phrase "no will, no kill"? Well, now there's a will and it say's don't kill, yet that's being ignored...
Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM

IF the story is in fact true, then I agree that it is heinous.

But I have to doubt it because it is from a very, very unreliable source in WND.

If you can show me another story about it from a more credible source then I will be happy to read it.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check out the source.

WorldNetDaily. This seems to be MMMMMM's new favorite source. I would wipe my ass with it, but the edges are too sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead, I have not found major factual errors in their reporting (unlike NYT for instance). Nor have I found anything on the internet to contradict the gist of this report. HOWEVER all of that is fairly irrelevant.

You are looking at this in a partisan context, but a woman's life is at stake, and this situation is not being turned into a political football (as Terri Schiavo's situation sadly was, to some extent). Not a whole lot of people even know about this case.

You need to take off the tinted glasses and just start looking at things with a fresh aspect. This is important.

If living wills can be utterly disregarded, and if a lone judge can quickly appoint someone other than closest of kin to be guardian, someone who wants to euthanize an individual who is neither terminal, nor vegetative, nor comatose; then there may be something dangerously wrong in the system.

Try getting away from your partisan outlook for a moment and just look at this on the face of it. This is important stuff and unfortunately you are trivializing it by your attitude and remarks.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:17 PM

Dead, you have little or no basis for calling WND "very, very unreliable", and even less basis for presuming this particular story is essentially false.

Just because WND takes a view on many things which you don't agree with, does not mean they fabricate entire stories out of the blue--especially not stories the facts of which are easily verifiable.

Jayson Blair did that. WND has never been found to do that. You simply have no valid basis to think this story is unlikely to be true (at least in the major salient matters--not talking nitpicking details here).
Old 04-08-2005, 08:17 PM

MMMMMM, I do not mean to trivialize it.

I've asked you to show me another source. If this is such a huge deal with a lady being starved against her will, then surely there would be another source for it.

Facts are facts.

I did a quick Yahoo News search for the word LaGrange, and was only able to find two matches for it in the past week. One of them was the WND link, and the other was a link to a copy of the same WND article.

I don't see any major media picking up this story, and I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't. Not even Fox News.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM, I do not mean to trivialize it.

I've asked you to show me another source. If this is such a huge deal with a lady being starved against her will, then surely there would be another source for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a longstanding news story like Terri Schiavo's case. This has all just happened in the last 2 weeks or less.

I tried Googling "Mae Magouirk" and just came up with a few blogs (pro-life blogs, natch, but who else seems to care?)

The names and facts in the story are verifiable. On the blogs are more names etc. and some more details, including names even of people who can be contacted as they might have the power to do something.

In the original article, the president of the Hospice Patients Alliance said that this is nothing new; thousands of similar cases are happening around the country (hopefully not all so heinous-seeming, heh). So maybe the major media just haven't picked up on it.

I really don't think both WND and the people on the blogs are just lying through their teeth. As I pointed out, all of this is verifiable information.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:38 PM

The mainstream media covered the Terry Schiavo case 24/7 for like 2 and a half weeks.

I just find it really hard to believe that there is not even one other source about this that is not right-wing.

And I've already said that if this is true(and I do doubt it), then it is wrong. Clearly people who have wills that say they do not want this to happen should not be killed.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mainstream media covered the Terry Schiavo case 24/7 for like 2 and a half weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was way longer than that. I believe they were talking about Schiavo during the summer.

Melch
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was way longer than that. I believe they were talking about Schiavo during the summer.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'm talking about the period in which they covered it 24/7. After the tube was removed, they covered it 24/7.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:44 PM

It's on the front page of the LaGrange paper's website.

Link to story