Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: T8 First Hand at Table

I bet all streets, if he min-check raises the turn I call to see how much he's going to bet into me on the river. They'll almost always bet if they have a legitimate hand because they don't want you checking behind. You can easily gauge the strength of their hand in most scenarios since most players are pretty transparent.

On the river it's an instant push given your stack size vs pot size.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet all streets, if he min-check raises the turn I call to see how much he's going to bet into me on the river. They'll almost always bet if they have a legitimate hand because they don't want you checking behind. You can easily gauge the strength of their hand in most scenarios since most players are pretty transparent.

On the river it's an instant push given your stack size vs pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he CRs big though? to me it seems like only a fourth club hurts you, at which point i can fold a $3 pot. there's really nothing else that will hurt you on the river. if he's got an overpair he's got two outs, if he has a set you have a few outs, if he has a flush you have 4 outs, and I can see him CRing the turn big there. if he has no hand he's either folding and was probably drawing close to dead or he'll re-pop big on a bluff. I don't see any scenario that works out well if hero bets on the turn.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call too many minraises so I'm a little sensitive to them right now. In your defense, calling them can be good for shania purposes as you send a message that people better make real raises to get you out of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

But raising the minimum if you bet 2/3 pot *is* a real raise if Hero has 4 outs.... do you see why?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if he CRs big though? to me it seems like only a fourth club hurts you, at which point i can fold a $3 pot. there's really nothing else that will hurt you on the river. if he's got an overpair he's got two outs, if he has a set you have a few outs, if he has a flush you have 4 outs, and I can see him CRing the turn big there. if he has no hand he's either folding and was probably drawing close to dead or he'll re-pop big on a bluff. I don't see any scenario that works out well if hero bets on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read dependent, but against an unknown I'd fold.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But raising the minimum if you bet 2/3 pot *is* a real raise if Hero has 4 outs.... do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Any check raise villain makes on the turn prices you out of the pot, so check through, take a free card and hopefully a cheap showdown.

Checking through the turn is something that I'm really working on in my game and I think this is an obvious example of when to do it. Think about how pissed you get when you miss a check-raise. That's what you should be doing to villain on this hand.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not take a free river?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Any check raise villain makes on the turn prices you out of the pot, so check through, take a free card and hopefully a cheap showdown.

Checking through the turn is something that I'm really working on in my game and I think this is an obvious example of when to do it. Think about how pissed you get when you miss a check-raise. That's what you should be doing to villain on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though the above is true, I think bet > check, simply because 4 outs isn't as important as getting value from top pair hands, other hands still drawing (ie just one suit, straight draw, bottom pair, etc.) especially if they will call down
Old 04-07-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not take a free river?

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not value bet?

Really you could do either, it's just preference.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:05 PM

touche
Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Simple gap concept, that's why I'll always be betting every street if possible. Maybe they have a baby flush. Maybe they have a set and are afraid of me having a flush.

I'm also betting that villain doesn't have the flush.

It's a lot easier to bet and semi-bluff rather than sit and guess what the other person's holding. When multi-tabling, it also takes less time to think about a decision.

When people checkraise / reraise you most only do with nut or near nut hands. Only against tricky bastards who do it with less than stellar hands do you need to take more time to think about it.