Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Please Critique....My First Post

yes I was trying to buy a free card. I was worried about the 3 bet, but after he just called the raise I was fairly sure I wasn't facing AK or trips.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:36 AM

List any stats and notes you have on your player(s) just before the converted Hand History.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's on the button, I don't think it's bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG raises with
AA-TT, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo
UTG beats AJs 59% of the time.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I have Pstove but have yet to figure out how to use it. So, we would need one more in for a call to be OK.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's on the button, I don't think it's bad.

If UTG raises with
AA-TT, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo
UTG beats AJs 59% of the time.

Stu

That's interesting. I have Pstove but have yet to figure out how to use it. So, we would need one more in for a call to be OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG AA-TT, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo
Cold Caller JJ-22, AJs-A2s, KQs-K9s, QJs-Q8s, JTs-J7s, T9s-T6s, 98s-96s, 87s-85s, 76s-74s, 65s-64s, 54s, AQo-ATo, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo

UTG still beats AJs 42% to 31%. Cold caller comes in at 26%.

The problem with AJs here is that he is too likely dominated by a reasonable UTG raise. Against 5 players you would win more than your fair share. The problem though, is when you win most of the time it won't be much and when you lose(cause you made second best aces) you're going to lose a whole lot.

If your going to play this hand in a five way feild against a reasonable UTG raise, you have to know when to release a pair of aces.

Probably better to just dump it and wait for the next hand.

Stu
Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 AM

you played this hand perfectly, preflop you have a lot of power being on the button with your hand. You bought the free card, and then got a bunch of money from him, good job

making preflop calls like this might be a mistake later at higher limits, but not at 2/4, and not with the read you had that he was an idiot. but if you really thought he was raising with junk, 3-bet him next time.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 AM

Well Done,

Even if there is a small chance the raiser is loose, (say I have only observed 50 hands or so, and obtained that read) in this position I will almost always see the flop with this hand, under these circumstances.

Liam
Old 04-07-2005, 04:13 AM

Exactly, Im also of the opinion that while u should know what hands do what preflop -- that postflop is where the most mistakes are. Heads up, with position and the read u had, Id most likely three bet. I like your line though, all the way through. So preflop dont worry to much, just know your hands and pay most of your attention to post floppage.

By the way here is What I consider to be far superior to PokerStove...I give u POKER CALCULATOR

Far easier to use, and when u pick the range of hands u put opponents on, it goes by what u want or u can quickly hit SKLANSKY/MALMUTH hand group ranges...I love this program far better than Pokerstove.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:46 AM

I do want to stress to you and the OP a simple fact that you NEED to know if you are going to be sucessful in Hold'em. Cold calling raises preflop is very bad 98% of the time. There is a time and a place for it and it could be debated that this is one of them (I've kind of talked about it in a previous post in this thread) but almost all the time you should be 3-betting or folding.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:55 AM

I consider myself to be a fairly tight player. I rarely cold call raises unless I have a premium starting hand.....I usually look for a reason to fold. In early position I would more than likely throw this hand away. I thought I was ahead due to the erratic play of this guy....bad read but I guess I got lucky. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 AM

Theres nothing wrong calling two cold in the button with AJs. Hell if its raised and three more enter, Id raise it. But with just u and the other guy, I call it.

If the flop sucks fold.

At a tight table Id probably muck it. Against typical lowlimt player I do the above. Guy had a good hand here, but the flop hit him good, so if it didnt Id much AJ on the flop then.