Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 12:36 PM

Default Re: $80-$160 Hand

I think you should've check-raised either on the flop or on the turn. Your flop bet defines your hand very well and I think the A-K hand was correct to call you down. A check raise some where along the way is more indicative of an overpair or trips. Also, you hit this flop so hard that a free card is hardly a disaster. You have two chances at 20 something outs.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:37 PM

Rick,

No way would he bet a small top pair in to a large field. He would checkraise to confront them with a double bet and improve his chances of winning. This is a large field with a large pot and leading with top pair of 7's, or even something like pocket 88 would seem to be incorrect to me. Leading with a big draw to trap the field for multiple bets and give himself an overlay on his draw, however, is standard. And while many players, including myself will lead with trips into a field, there are a in my mind two key reasons why it is very unlikely he has trips in this spot.

1. Even with trips, this is a highly coordinated board and he wouldn't mind checkraising to limit the field, or at least see if someone can call 2 cold, alerting him to the existance of a flush draw and making future streets play easier.

2. The number of hands he could have that constitute a draw of some sort vastly outnumber the hand combinations he could defend a blind with that include a 6, especially with two 6's already on the board.

Old 10-25-2002, 01:42 PM

While all of what you say is true, would you generally bet out on this flop?

Don't forget that if you get raised, you can then three bet and this presumably would muffle the "I'm on a draw" scream.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:38 PM

Clark,

Maybe he wouldn't bet top pair (without a kicker) but he would tend to bet trips. Jim isn't a fan of the "narrow the field" checkraise unless he is damn sure the right opponent will bet and here the button might not with this flop.

Gotta run and I'll try to get back to the forum late tonight.

Regards,

Rick
Old 10-25-2002, 02:43 PM

Jim,

I believe u played fine, many ppl i play with would have folded on turn. Also u could have:
1. check-call, check-check, bet; or
2. check-raise, bet, check(if he called turn); or
3. check-call, check-raise (he wouldn't call).

the only explanation is that you had a tell, and he read. otherwise he should have folded.

nykenny
Old 10-25-2002, 02:45 PM

Default Dan Z

These are limpers playing 80-160. They know that the button is likely to raise, and that there may be a 3 bet. Thus betting out will narrow the field pretty well, as there is the threat of a button (or other) raise looming. The players are not saying "woohoo, next card is only 1 bet!" with the preflop raiser and others behind them.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:51 PM

If he didn't fold the turn, there's no way he's folding the river... it's not like you can put him on a draw.

ben
Old 10-25-2002, 03:12 PM

Default how i see it

havent looked at the other posts, but one way to play this is, if it comes back to you for 1-2 bets on the flop, check-call the flop and then try to checkraise the turn (especially when it comes scary like that) if youre still not there.

the problem with this is that you are putting in the least money when youre a probable favorite (the paired board and fact you are drawing to a small flush though make this very debatable) on the flop.

but the upside is by waiting till the turn to show strength i think you give yourself the best chance to win the pot there on the turn because you represent a 6 (or, in this case, a 7 as well), and if you hit your draw on the turn or river your hand is well disguised.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if i had trips id bet into this board...

1 many wont put you on trips when you do this, wo theyll misread your hand.
2 you still have a nice hand for a redraw if someone hits their hand.

but the c/r is also good, and id do that to at times. but it sucks when it gets checked around.

i think dynasty was right once the guy calls the turn, if you dont improve, its check/fold time. unless you really think you can get him to fold.

b
Old 10-25-2002, 03:32 PM

Default Response to Rick, skp and bernie

Guys,

I'll repeat this point from my first response since I feel it addresses your posts. While most good players will tend to bet their trips, the number of draws Jim could have when defending his BB far outnumber the number of hands that have a 6, especially once 2 6's flop.

If I were the button, I'd estimate the chances of Jim having either a straight or flush draw vs trip 6's at about 7-1. And I'd almost eliminate the possibility of a 7 or a pocket pair. There is an outside chance he has 77, but I am willing to dismiss that for now.

I think the button played it well.