Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Opportunity Comes Knocking

I think that you are missing the point. The fact that you are only at 130BB makes a huge difference, because Villain is getting 2:1 to call your push on the turn. In other words, he only has to pick you off 1 in three times to make it worth a call. If you were at 400BB, it would make a huge difference.

One other thing, the guy that just raised me on the turn is the same guy that check called the flop on a very draw heavy board. Even if I give you credit for not fearing the draw because you put me on an overpair (and I don't give everyone credit for it), I still don't see you check calling a set here on the flop because of the possibility that a K or A could kill your action in the event that I held TT, JJ or QQ.

Given that it was six-handed, I guess that I can't entirely discount the possibility of you having a 3, but if I am getting 2 to 1 to make the call, I probably am going to pick you off. At 400BB, I might well play it differently, but then it would truly be a deep stack hand.

Last question -- what does your hourly rate have to do with whether you played this hand correctly? El D probably has a better hourly rate than all of us and he was complaining the other day about screwing up several hands. No one, least of all me, plays every hand optimally.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Are you saying you will call with kings in his spot or not? I am asserting its a fairly easy fold. Do you disagree?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its essential to discussing the hand, but it should be said I wouldn't make this play without a tight table image.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? You think this play works without a tight table image? Nice play, against a strong opponent. Suicide against a weaker one.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM

Honestly, it would depend on the player. I think that you have described your table image (i.e., opening with a wide range preflop and playing like a rock thereafter) with an eye towards making your play seem correct. Nevertheless, if I truly perceived you as playing this style, I might give you a credit for a 3 the first time you tried this move. I would make a stand before long though. I don't want you to get the idea that you can push me off a big hand on any scary board.

What I personally would do is irrelevant, of course, because you weren't playing against me. I promise that a lot of players will look you up in that situation.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM

I think short-handed deep stack play is about picking your spots, and going with the ebb and flow of the game. Clearly, Hero in this case picked the right spot, and made a good move.

The question is, did he do it for the right reasons? And ultimately, does he usually do it for the right reasons?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:36 PM

I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about this hand as if both players were really deep. They weren't.

That being said, I will concede that this is the correct play against certain opponents. If the original poster had that kind of read on his opponent, then I will reiterate what I said in my original post -- more power to him and good play.

My only point was that I am dubious about using this as a default line against an unknown.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:36 PM

good thinking behind your river move.

keep in mind you are offering your head for chopping. you really do not want to do that, e.g., against myself or cero_z, because we could well have the 3 or a set and also may just call you down anyway depending on your play characteristics up til then. also, against a weak player you are really getting in over your head. you are offering significant odds.

there is a wide swath of middle-level players against whom it is a good play.

matt
Old 04-06-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is a wide swath of middle-level players against whom it is a good play.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of them.

If you haven't yet shown down a big bluff at the table then opponent is folding. If you have, then you're drawing for six outs.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 PM

You got really lucky your opponent wasn't bad enough to call any bets with an overpair, and wasn't good enough to put you on a hand at all. This is a foolish bluff, unless you are playing really loose preflop and your opponent knows it.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 PM

First you tell us your play felt completely routine. Now you say you don't make plays like this often.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.