Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: So right now im up 188 BB in 2 hrs and thinking...

So get 1 2001fp. Why do you need two?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM

I have a full time job, so I usually put in 20 hours a week. I don't think I'll ever quit my day job. I enjoy playing poker and learning the game. Making money while doing this makes it even more fun. I think if I played poker full time, it would be a lot less enjoyable. BTW, what level do you play?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Do you find it overly stressful?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not stressful at all. I don't depend on this income. It's a hobby/part-time job.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Has it lessened your appreciation for the game of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
I play 2-3 tables at a time, but I don't "nut-peddle". I think through each hand.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Do you have any tips for aspiring err well....semi-pros?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'd like some tips too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] For example, what level and how many tables should I play if I want to make a living at this?

[ QUOTE ]
4) Any general tips?

[/ QUOTE ]
Be careful of tilt. I went on tilt one session and it took me an entire month to recover.

[ QUOTE ]
5) How many hours do you typically put in a week?

[/ QUOTE ]20+ hours a week. I could play more, but there's only so many hours in a day.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 PM

my BB/100 u mean? its around 22. and ofcourse i dont plan on turning it into a carrier anytime soon. but my goal is to multitable around 12 tables at once of the NL100. that will be enough to get 4-8g's a month. thats preety good i would say. but right now i am just using the money to pay for tuition. i am about to move up to 50nl OR just add 4 more tables for a total of 8 tables of 25nl.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i currently do 4 table 25NL and make 100 a day in 2-3 hours in a regular bases. but ofcourse i lose sometimes but rarely. i think its more fun and just less boring. i am going to move up to 50nl soon and add up to 8 tables. cant wait. and yes this is my job basically to pay for my tuition but if my luck continues. i might b making more money here then my future engineering job.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite an extrapolation to go from multitabling NL25 to making it a career. Now if you were multitabling NL200 or so then you have a point.

Also, what are your PTBB/100 stats for your NL25 games? Like 30? 40?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Here's a New York Times article about a Princeton student who made $90,000 on PartyPoker in the last 6 months. It sounds like he's playing 3 tables at once on $2/$4 NL Holdem. Here's the article: Ante Up at Dear Old Princeton: Online Poker Is a Campus Draw
Old 04-05-2005, 04:34 PM

give me a year. im only a sophmore now and i just started this. i will beat his 90k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] JUST 1 YEAR !!! i wil beat him!!! lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a New York Times article about a Princeton student who made $90,000 on PartyPoker in the last 6 months. It sounds like he's playing 3 tables at once on $2/$4 NL Holdem. Here's the article: Ante Up at Dear Old Princeton: Online Poker Is a Campus Draw

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
give me a year. im only a sophmore now and i just started this. i will beat his 90k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] JUST 1 YEAR !!! i wil beat him!!! lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but didn't you just recently post a thread saying you had like 3k hands under your belt?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:15 PM

lol ya. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but i should be better as time goes on. an di was kididng about beating his 90k, but i will die trying and make more then my share in the process.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but didn't you just recently post a thread saying you had like 3k hands under your belt?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you asking here in order to get opinions from players at the same bankroll and limit level? Otherwise, there are some really good threads on this in the Zoo, in terms of details of someone's quest to play for a job, their stats, even their own blogs about it. I wish I could provide some links, but I didn't make them favorites as it is just not a goal of mine (I'm happy with the lawyer thing). Perhaps a search there or a crosspost would net you some better responses, especially if you asked specifically for NL and even SSNL help. Just a few thoughts, and best wishes and be patient if it is a move you make.

-Trail

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to second this. Look for posts by daveross and others in the zoo. Though these are older people with I'm assuming larger financial obligations then you who are playing for more then just a part-time gig or a summer job while in school.

I'm in law school living partially on student loans and then working at night at a warehouse (mostly for the medical benefits because I'm married with two kids). I started supplementing my income with poker about a year ago. As my win rate went up (I play a mix 100nl [moving up soon], 100PLO, 3/6-5/10 stud and some 5/10 6max LHE and yes I multitable [one game at a time]), its gotten to were it's not really supplementary income anymore; more like my primary income. I've considered quiting my night job (four hours a night) but Party Poker doesn't have medical/dental insurance.

My wife is considering going back to work and if she gets a job with medical then I'll go pro the next day (for the rest of law school, with breaks for my summer internships, etc). But this should be done only with eyes wide open to all of the ups and downs. Required reading: Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Malmuth and all the various "going pro" threads in The Zoo. I bet if you posted there and asked someone for links to all the best "Going Pro" and "Went Pro and Now I'm Bust/Bankrupt/Having a Huge Downswing/Suicidal" posts someone would hook you up... There's a depressing one in "Psychology" as well but based on what you've posted so far you don't sound like a compulsive gambler but who knows. I haven't saved all these threads unfortunately.

Beset7
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 PM

I think there are some other aspects you might want to look at also. As another poster already stated Party Poker has no medical plan, this is worth more than you might think. There is also no 401k,paid holidays,sick leave, etc. While I'm confident that I could match or exceed my base salary playing poker if I put in enough hours, these other factors are worth quite a bit as well. Also I have yet to go to work and end up having to pay my boss at the end of the day, no matter how my job performance is. There is something to be said about guaranteed income. I prefer to use poker as a supplement to my income, my job pays the bills and poker pays for the toys. If I have a bad run that just means no toys that week, if I were doing it for a living it might mean no food or electricity that week. JMO
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Ahhhh, the sweet innocent days before my first downswing...Like watching TV in the living room while mommy and daddy fight, never realizing that soon your whole could come crashing down around you.