Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: A preflop decision that I didn\'t know how to deal with

Thanks for the comment!

Looking back at the OPs position, I may amend my comments. I think call is definitely the worst of options here. With only the CO and button left, I may play this hand (raise). I got carried away with my "difference between limits" tangent. In fact on the button, I'm raising regardless of what the betting limits are. I think that having position, as opposed to thinning the field, is the key for playing the rest of the hand. If the blinds want to come in for 2.5 and 2 more bets, fine with me. With position, the play is pretty standard. You can raise regardless of the flop and fold if reraised or bet into on the turn UI with big cards on the board, etc. etc. (I think this is pretty much the line the poster followed.)

To answer your original question (finally), yes, I fold if not coming in for a raise. This is more likely to happen the more players between me and the button.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 PM

This believe it or not is more of a call/fold situation. True you have position on raiser and you may be able to isolate with a 3-bet. BUT this is one of those hands that it will be difficult to know where you stand after the flop without a really generous flop for you. Depending on your read of the rest of the table (meaning how many people will cold-call) I'd call here if you feel you'll get at least two others in with you. If you don't feel so confident, I'd drop the hand.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3-bet. You've got a good hand (not a marginal hand), initiative, and position.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing with a raise in front of you, you're either facing a) monster (big pair), or some decent broadway combo. After much contemplation, although I think playing this heads up gives hero best chance, the flop play will be tricky without a decent flop for hero i.e undercards or trips. True, hero will have position, but I don't think it warrants a 3-bet with an early middle position raise in front of him. This is one of those marginal situations, but I think it's a call/fold(call if he believes others behind will cold call) situation in my book.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 PM

SERIOUSLY, I want everyone to look at this hand again and the play at the table at this level. Look at how many people cold called AFTER hero 3-bet. You're not going to see this at 1/2 or even .5/1. Are you guys fitting your advice to the competition or to optimal play against thinking opponents? Just curious, because I don't think those who advocated 3-bet are correct here.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Nope you're dead on brother. Glad I'm not the only one seeing this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 02:34 PM

Dude, you show some thinking ability and understanding of the nano-limit game that many (even in this forum) have never played, then F* it up with this Lemming crap:

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I have not yet read SSH, so I apologize in advance if this goes against anything Mr. Miller says [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're wrong (and I don't think you are) be willing to be convinced, but don't be afraid to question authority--even Noted Poker Authorities--just because they say so.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're playing with a raise in front of you, you're either facing a) monster (big pair), or some decent broadway combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

With MP2 being first in the hand, this raise could be a number of things beside what you are assuming. Many will raise any playing hand in this situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see (or make) this raise with Axs or any PP, so I don't think poster needs to worry they are 50/50 at best. I definitly raise here if not folding. (See my other - much longer - post on why I may fold.)
Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 PM

I think you were correct in your first post. I see a lot of experienced players offer advice that is optimal at 1/2, but is only taking into consideration thinking opponents, which I don't believe you're going to run into many of them at .02/.04. I've never played at this limit, but I'm taking a logical guess. Also for this reason, cold calling right after pre-flop raise is not bad because you WILL see ATo or K10o etx... raises in front of you. Isolating against these hands puts you at about even money though after the flop. So why invest more money in a marginal situation? Let the people behind you cold call, see the flop and you're either going to hit big or you get out cheap.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think some of my biggest leaks come from mid pocket pairs that I don't play ideally. Here's a situation that came up when I was playing yesterday. At the time I didn't know much about the villian, he had only sat down within the past orbit or so. I've got 58 hands with him now and he's 37.93/3.45/0.51.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="blue">Hero...?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not comfortable going for the kill, fold, because this is a tough hand to play, even with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Especially since 3-betting will not insure an isolation against pre-flop raiser this level. He's only 50/50 against raiser and more people in the pot that shrinks further.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you're playing with a raise in front of you, you're either facing a) monster (big pair), or some decent broadway combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

With MP2 being first in the hand, this raise could be a number of things beside what you are assuming. Many will raise any playing hand in this situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see (or make) this raise with Axs or any PP, so I don't think poster needs to worry they are 50/50 at best. I definitly raise here if not folding. (See my other - much longer - post on why I may fold.)

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Any "playing hand" I assume you mean decent limping hand, will leave you at even money after the flop. Trying to isolate at this level I don't think will work. If you can't get this heads up you are -EV on this hand. If you can you are break even. If pre-flop raiser was loose-agggressive/passive, I'd 3-bet this and hammer away after the flop. Otherwise I'd drop the hand. At this level though I'd advocate a call.