Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: best steak in Manhattan ?

[ QUOTE ]
Steak is for jerks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka, you prefer jerk steak over traditional? I am a big fan of jerk chicken and Caribbean food in general, but for steak I prefer to let the meat's taste shine through. I suggest you go to one of the places mentioned (Luger, Sparks, etc.) and try the steak there - it might sway you from your preference for jerk steak.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not in any particular order:

Angelo and Maxies

Del Friscos

Strip House

[/ QUOTE ]

See I love Angelo Maxis, but I know people who absolutely hate it.

If one chooses to go there order your meat a step up. Medium Rare (my choice) comes out bloody rare.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM

There's this very old steakhouse called Keen's in midtown (http://www.keens.com/). It used to be a gentleman's smoking club (something like that) and each member was given a pipe at the time. Now, they have those pipes displayed throughout the restaurant. Many ex-presidents, etc. were members, so it's pretty interesting. It has a very 1920's vibe too. Oh and the steak's great too.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 PM

I've been a fan on A&M since it opened up. I think back in 96 or 97. I especially enjoy their Rib Eye cooked Medium Rare with some Hash Browns...ahhhhh

I forgot to add Maloney and Portcelli, Billy's and The Post House...all great Steak joints as well.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM

I'm partial to the onglet and frites at Les Halles. Patroon also makes a fine steak but I haven't been there in several years.

Someone posted above that Sparks is better than Luger. Clearly, they are insane.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:40 PM

Dave check out that Cite place. Again not so much for the steak, but I guarantee your tie will find it's way to your head in no time.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Wolfgang

Bubu-

If you love Luger's and dry aged steaks, you need to check out Wolfgang.

Wolfgang's Steakhouse
4 Park Ave. (Midtown East/Murray Hill)
IF> at 33rd St.
212-889-3369
wolfgangssteakhouse.com

Seafood
Steakhouse
FOREACH>
Price Range: Expensive

After four decades of faithful service to Peter Luger, its former headwaiter, Wolfgang Zwiener, has opened a restaurant of his own. The elegant room with its striking Guastavino-vault ceiling, a bigger menu with more seafood, and the credit-card policy (they take them) distinguish Wolfgang's from Peter Luger. The meat, though, is prime, dry-aged for about 28 days in a basement locker and cut into porterhouse steaks for two, three, or four, just the way they do it in Brooklyn.

Adam Platt on the Luger likenesses: There are the dangerously hot steak platters, all scuffed and burnt around the edges from incessant cooking. There are the waiters, many of whom are Luger transplants, who rush through the crowd wearing long aprons and slightly askew snap-on bow ties. There is even a Wolfgangs Steakhouse Old-Fashioned Sauce,; which is a near-exact facsimile of the famous Lugers Steak Sauce, only its slightly sweeter, and contains a touch more horseradish. I took an old Luger acolyte to Wolfgangs, and when he tasted this apostate sauce, he closed his eyes for a minute, as if taking a communication directly from the steak gods, then whispered, Its actually better. You cant say that about the beef at Wolfgangs, but its awfully close. At least that was the consensus among the Luger faithful on the evenings I visited.

Recommended Dishes: Porterhouse For Two, $75.90; Filet Mignon, $36.50; Sirloin Steak, $36.50; Lamb Chops, $36.50; Swordfish, $29.95; Salmon, $29.95; Creamed Spinach, $8.95; Cottage Fries, $8.95; German Potatoes, $10.95
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Black Angus
Old 04-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Wolfgang

Wolfgang's is amazing. It's exactly like Luger in almost every way, minus ambience.

Ruth's Chris is some notches below the rest of these, too.

Smith and Wollensky's probably deserves a mention, despite the prick factor.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are too many options though to give them all equal justice - but I will try ! I think I'll try Sparks first (gf has been buggin me about that one as well).

What about cheap good steaks ? Is that possible in Manhattan ?