Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Dead Kings

Hi Beer,

I think this is a very tough decision that could swing between a fold and a call depending on how you and your opponents play. Given the fact that in many of your other posts you have admitted to having an itchy calling finger, I think folding is definitvely correct.

If you have the disciple to fold quickly later in the hand, and if your opponents are the average semi-loose/semi-tight passive variety found at Party's 10/20 game, I think a call has +EV. There is very little chance of a raise behind you so you are getting 5.3-1 on your call, with what is probably the best hand. Be wary that it is slightly more likely that the A is slow playing split As because he knows from the dead cards that everyone else probably is weak, but it is still more likely that he is just playing a weak hand poorly (note that v a good player, limping here virtually screams rolled or split As because a raise is almost certainlyly going to knock everyone else out).

Your plan to win this hand should be by catching a scare card and winning with a bet on 4th or 5th, or atleast getting it heads up with the BI or the 4. People are likely to put you on a flush/str8 draw, so bet a suited card, A, Q, 9 or possibly J and T if the Ace checks to you and the 4 catches trash. If the Ace bets into you or check raises, you MUST fold immediately, unless you have 2 pair, because it means he was slow playing or just caught good. Don't be afraid to check/fold 4th if someone catches something scary (like a str8 or F card). You can check call if the 4 catches something like a suited 5 and bets, assuming the A folds, but you DON'T want to be in a 3 way pot verus a 4 flush and a small pair with a live overcard kicker, so overcall if the A calls.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 PM

I see this as a raise or fold situation And I dont like raising against this Ace. also Since you dont have any sort of redraw posibility like a 2 flush and your straights are all but dead. I would fold unless you think a raise can get the rest of the field to fold.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW if I was seat 3 I wouldn't be limping if i intended to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it would make BeerMoney's decision a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck I might limp with Aces here and perhaps try for a check raise on 4th.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 AM

I'd limp.