Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: OK grunch..this is proper aggresive??

About the flop raise, I think it's fine with passive reads on the players involved, but the OP gave no reads.

One plus about this free card play is that it actually looks like hero has AK, KQ, or something that hit the board, because the flop is rainbow. A lot of people will stop and go when they think you're raising for a free card with a four flush, but that can't be the case on this board. KT and K9 will rarely 3-bet you on this flop or bet into you on the turn - I just like to be backed up by reads.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:27 PM

PF and flop seem fine, you got your free card and i think you should have taken it.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Sorry no reads. I'm thinking I should have taken the free card. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think I need to post another thread on reads, but with less than 10K hands, I dont think I have too many or I don't know how to get/use them. New to PT too.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Yeah I'm an idiot. No clue what I was thinking about folding there. Who looks at the size of pots? :-/ Apparently not this guy.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Dude provide reads next time because they are key in deciding whether you should call or raise the flop. If you only have 4 outs here the free card play will look something like this (assume that the CO folds):

EV = 15.4 SB * .165 - 2 SB = + .54 SB/Hand

So at a passive table you can make this kind of play for value (assuming that you take the free card). Also note that you will almost always have more then just 4 outs here. The problem arises when the table is aggressive and you get 3-bet on the flop (this includes 4 SB of implied odds should you hit your straight):

EV = 23.4 SB * .165 - 5 SB * .845 = - .364 BB/Hand

So even with the 2 BB of implied odds you are still sucking wind should you get 3-bet on the flop. There are also other considerations like paying two bets on the turn or getting paid more on the river. Remember that this is just for the gutterball and you will often win if you can spike an ace which helps your cause. But the main consideration is if you will actually get the free card. So at a passive table it looks okay but I would just call at an aggressive table and then go nuts if I spike a queen.

Brad
Old 04-04-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry no reads. I'm thinking I should have taken the free card. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think I need to post another thread on reads, but with less than 10K hands, I dont think I have too many or I don't know how to get/use them. New to PT too.

[/ QUOTE ]

All PokerTracker gives you is statistical information...very helpful, but not the be-all-and-end-all of reads. What we want is your impression of the players in the hand with you. "MP1 seems loose and aggro, CO is a nutball that goes to the river with any 2 cards..." Stuff like that.