Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Starting to question if this gme is profitable

You seem to make the a priori assumption that you are a winning player, and that if you can't beat the game, then nobody can. You may well be one of the fish contributing to the winning players' profits. If you've only been playing a couple of months, that is quite likely. What evidence do you have that you are a winning player?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:12 PM

There are tons of players like you which play far too straightforward, weak, and get run over. I'm sure you end up folding far too often and you don't get much action when you catch a big hand.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-03-2005, 07:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I want to point something out here. You're totals for 1/2, 2/4, and 3/6 add up to +$91.29. This means that you've LOST almost $200 at the .50/1 level over about 10k hands. That is ridiculously bad. Seriously, I think you need to start over and try to figure out why you can't beat the easiest game on the net before you start trying to run your way up the limits.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are tons of players like you which play far too straightforward, weak, and get run over. I'm sure you end up folding far too often and you don't get much action when you catch a big hand.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my problem exactly. I guess I'm glad its not uncommon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now the question is how to fix it? Coldcall more and risk playing dominated hands? Continue (maybe lead with) marginal holdings that may pay off when they hit or still lose to stronger hands? Yes, I have a lot of studying to do!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I want to point something out here. You're totals for 1/2, 2/4, and 3/6 add up to +$91.29. This means that you've LOST almost $200 at the .50/1 level over about 10k hands. That is ridiculously bad. Seriously, I think you need to start over and try to figure out why you can't beat the easiest game on the net before you start trying to run your way up the limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going down to this level or possibly stars .25/50. I should note that I hovered between $+200-300 for the longest time at .50/1 then I started doing poorly and went way down (but at the same time I was multitabling a couple higher limit tables and doing ok on those) It is clear I am playing worse than I was a month ago. I am essentially going to "start over" this week.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM

This post is cognitive dissonance at its finest.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Find a player who is online a lot and routinely kicks ass and watch how he plays for a while. Doesn't have to be someone you know from 2+2, just any random strong online player.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:55 AM

You have gotten some good advice here. One thing I would like to add is to knock off the multi-tabling until you are winning consistently. Like maybe over a period in excess of 20k hands.

Multi tabling will increase your income when you are playing a winning game. I believe that you can learn more and improve your game faster while playing and concentrating on one game at a time.

Poker is complicated. There are a lot of factors to consider and a lot of informaion to absorb and process dugin the play of a hand. It gets easier to process sort through and recognize the important information with experience, but it takes time to devolop the skills which allow you to do this quickly.