Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: You know whats gonna up your win rate a ton?

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, neither do I. It's a crutch (albeit a motorized and helpful one) that won't help me when I make the move to pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stronly disagree with this. If you are only referring to using it to get stats on opponents then I would agree, but that is the least essential thing about poker tracker to me.

It is such a good tool for finding leaks in your own game by giving you so many ways to analyze the data. Plus it keeps all your hand histories stored in their own DB and allows you to replay them in a simulator which is much better then simply going through hand histories as you only see the action as it happend.

EDIT: I see pink beat me to the punch.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Self-evaluation of poker play is no different from making reads of your opponents. They're both skills I have to learn without the aid of a program.

I am not at all attempting to undermine it's usefulness, I'm sure it's wonderful. It probably even leaves the toilet seat down afterwards. I'm saying, me using it, would be very bad. Like using a calculator for simple multiplication. Due to the fact that I never used a calculator I can do 2 digits multiplied by 2 digits in my head (46*82) for example. I have friends that can't do 9*5.

Same sorta thing.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to the fact that I never used a calculator I can do 2 digits multiplied by 2 digits in my head (46*82) for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you'd need it for higher levels of math. Also, think about the speed of doing it on a calculator. 3200+480+80+12 = 3772. I don't have a calc on this computer, is that number right?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:55 PM

(Start Run Calc if you're using windows), yes that number is right at first glance, I could double check.

I'm not saying pokertracker wouldn't help me in the short term. I'm saying it would hurt me in the long term.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Yeah, somehow the calc got taken off this computer. I'm just going to check on the computer next to me (I'm wicked lazy). Yeah, I'm right, I rule. Foiling rules.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying pokertracker wouldn't help me in the short term. I'm saying it would hurt me in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:00 PM

No, it keeps leaving the seat up, and that just makes me *so* mad. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I agree about doing the basic blocking and tackling yourself. And you may well be at a skill level where the feedback PT would give you would seem like fluff, or perhaps a crutch you didn't need or want. I look forward to getting to that level.

But for me, I'm still trying to find my game. And while the advice I read in this forum has been incredibly valuable, sometimes I have to learn the hard way, like optimistically playing Ax suited from EP until PT tells me I'm leaking so much money doing it that I would be an idiot to continue.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tossing half the hands that you play in EP. Seriously.

(Brevity is the soul of wit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Same goes for the small blind, take note.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Kaz, did you get my PM or email? What's going on?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, neither do I. It's a crutch (albeit a motorized and helpful one) that won't help me when I make the move to pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:56 AM

For what its worth, I show a profit with 22, 33, 44, 55 in UTG positions. Thats just me.