Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Another fun give me a line hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If we're ahead of both we don't want to blow them off the pot with a raise. I think we're likely behind, but we have some drawing options to catch up so I don't want to fold to a single SB when I'm getting 10:1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2005, 04:46 PM

If we call we'll be giving UTG+1 11:1 on his call. He'd be right to call here with any 2, A3o and even J4o assuming that BB has missed the flop. Do we really want that?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:51 PM

We do if our equity is greater than 33%. (Which, I'm not saying it is. I'm just, you know, sayin'...)

I have flip-flopped all over the place on this hand. I think that probably the best line in my mind is to raise the flop and fold to a re-raise. There, I said it. And, I'll probably change my mind again in about an hour.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I have flip-flopped all over the place on this hand. I think that probably the best line in my mind is to raise the flop and fold to a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, me too. Let's say there is a 10% chance (REALLY high estimate) that he gets frisky with AQs here, and that he 3-bets with these hands on the flop indiscriminately, so long as he at LEAST has a BD draw.

The following hands beat me:
6 JJ
6 QQ
3 KK
6 AA
12 AK

And I beat the following hands:
4 AQs (I doubt he's 3-betting anything less than this pre-flop)

So, only A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] will 3-bet here lets say, the red suiteds aren't very happy.

So, now 2 out of the 35 hands that 3-bet us on the flop we are ahead of, and he's only 3-betting those 2 10% of the time. This is an UGLY situation.

Now, this doesn't look like we want to call either, so why not just fold? Well, I gave you 2 important pieces of information in the first post, "has gone to showdown only 10% of the time, almost always showing down winners." You picked up on this when you said: "If he only goes to showdown 10% we might be able to steal this pot on the turn HU if a scary card falls." It's a big pot now, remember that this is the time to win the pot. And as a bonus, if he's this weak, you don't need the best hand, you just need to make him think you do. People who show down this few hands, and have the winners so often are folding waaay too much. They don't like seeing a flop get raised when there's an overcard out there.

The rest of the hand:
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Did I push him off JJ or QQ? Who knows, maybe but that's not important. Even if he dumped his AQ on the turn getting 7.75:1, he's making a mistake, and that's what we're trying to do here. There is no pre-flop 3-betting hand he should've folded onthe turn, but through position, and aggression against an opponent we have a read on, we were able to convince him otherwise.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:34 PM

This hand has been very instructional for me for two reasons:

1. Importance of factoring your table reads into your play
2. Importance of using positional raises to thin the field.

Thanks mmbt0ne!

-Salty