Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Straght draw, did i push to far?

[ QUOTE ]
It makes one feel pretty good when it works... but the times you dont get yr straight its tough, and it ads a lot to variance, bet Im pretty over bankroll'ed for 2/4, so i can live with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to make sure you understand why you're jamming the pot here (If you already do, fine). You've got 8 outs to the best hand. This hand will come in by the river 32% of the time. With four players putting in money on the flop, you're contributing only 25% of the pot, while going to get the best hand 32% of the time...it's a great gamble, and you should feel good about doing it whether you catch it or not.

[ QUOTE ]
But it was the right descion not to get tricky on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tricky play is WAY overrated in SS games. It would make me sick to watch this get checked through...just bet and pray for raises.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about some wierd theoretical game with no cap on any street. How many bets should one go on the flop with this draw and 4 opponents? In theory, would you go as many bets as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't. It's a good question though. With another opponent I probably would.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a side note, if this were a game with 5 bets per street, I assume getting to that 5th bet here would also be profitable...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
What about some wierd theoretical game with no cap on any street. How many bets should one go on the flop with this draw and 4 opponents? In theory, would you go as many bets as possible?

I know this game makes little sense and you'd probably never get 4 opponents to go a ridiculous number of bets, but I'm just curious how far one should push these kinds of equity edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about the same thing before....I'm not real sure what would be best here...my thoughts:

This is a great play in a capped game, because you'll find yourself here time and time again, and this play is profitable in the long run. However, how many times will you find yourself in a situation where you have multiple being going in for a ridiculous # of bets? Not many.

Perhaps this thinking is flawed....like to hear from some others on it.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:10 AM

Can you run a Pokerstove sim for this Owen? I'm curious.

Put in TT for one hand and a range of 55,88,67,79,9J for the other two...agreed? Can you try it without the bd flush too? I forgot about that. I change my answer before seeing the results to yes...I would go to the felt.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:13 AM

I'm sure we may get the easy textbook answer of, "Yes, as many bets as possible!!! You'll win a third of the time and you have 4 opponents. Value!!! Jam Jam Jam."

But if I was ACTUALLY sitting at the table, I'm not so sure. I guess I'd have to take into account the value of my remaining chips and my mood at the time. Would going >5 bets kill my stack/bankroll if I missed, had I been running bad, did I just take a bad beat, etc.???

lol, not sure if anyone saw it, but I'm kinda having deja vu from the "doing business as a massive favorite" thread over in the PLO forum. I started out with the textbook answer, but then actually put myself in the shoes of someone sitting at the table.

So yeah, the *correct* play is probably to jam as much as possible, but I KNOW my mood at the time would affect my choice.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM

Thx, Ive pretty much got the 2 cards to come odds put into my game with OESD and flushdraws, but only due to variouse threads about it here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For the part about being happy about it... well, Im still in that phase of poker were it slam my mouse on the desk a bit when i lose a hand.. and clap my ugly little hands when I win a big pot [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Im pretty hapy about the bet out now, teh checking scenario is pretty evil [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM

You won't win 32% of the time if it goes >>> a few bets on the flop. You'll only catch the straight 32%.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM

You're talking the times that someone has something like trips and fills up and we lose anyway. I'll get the PS out in a minute.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Put in TT for one hand and a range of 55,88,67,79,9J for the other two...agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since your outs are squeaky clean, do you care what anyone has? Or is Pokerstove necessary for some of the times the opponents hold one of your outs? I've never made use of it, but should probably start!

[ QUOTE ]
...I would go to the felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it, that's some nice gamboool there. Assuming I was feeling ok, I think I'd do the same.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to make sure you understand why you're jamming the pot here (If you already do, fine). You've got 8 outs to the best hand. This hand will come in by the river 32% of the time. With four players putting in money on the flop, you're contributing only 25% of the pot, while going to get the best hand 32% of the time...it's a great gamble, and you should feel good about doing it whether you catch it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome response QTip, you're come a long way. I remember a month or two ago, you did not know this concept and were totally confused about it. good job, you're a great example of how 2+2 can improve all of our games