Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Funny theBruiser500 archive post

[ QUOTE ]
What we can take away from the Bruiser meteoric rise, i believe, is this:

The big game players, got there by:
1. having ability
2. studying
3. taking chances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You missed the most important factor for many players.

4. running good

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent point, Diablo; although that is what i was implying in #3. That being said, what mix of 1,2, 3/4 would you attribute bruiser's success to???
Old 03-31-2005, 04:57 PM

Man that is inspiring. If I had read that I would've thought for sure it was just another wannabe destined to go broke.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 PM

Well about a year ago, I donated $100 to Bruiser in a NL100 game on PS.

He flopped quad deuces against my A/A & took my stack. I'll bet he doesn't even remember that hand. So I contributed a tad in his building his BR.

About taking chances...
One year later, I'm grinding out my living on NL200 & some NL400 while he's playing with the big boys. That's quite a contrast.
He deserves his success, he took a chance & it paid off.

I remember reading those threads he posted last year, and he did indeed take alot of crap from people.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:35 PM

Wow. That really is inspiring. Way to go, Bruiser... care to post your thoughts on your success thus far?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What we can take away from the Bruiser meteoric rise, i believe, is this:

The big game players, got there by:
1. having ability
2. studying
3. taking chances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You missed the most important factor for many players.

4. running good

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent point, Diablo; although that is what i was implying in #3. That being said, what mix of 1,2, 3/4 would you attribute bruiser's success to???

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. All four are definitely key factors, though.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Thanks all. There are few things in my life that I am really proud of having done, but what I've done in poker is one of them, it took a lot of hard work. Just some random thoughts on this:

I have the right mental make up for it, I like the competition, I have an obsessive personality so when i got into poker that's all I did, play and study poker. Very analytical, when I play I look at all my big hands (although admittedly I haven't lately and I have been getting sloppy), and then look at whether I got the money in with the best of it and the worst of it and whether it could have been played better.

I don't think it's just taking chances. They weren't stupid chances I took (I think). There are a lot of reasons I like moving up fast which I've mentioned before. First of all I don't need my BR so if I lose money it's not a problem I just drop down in stakes. Next it is challenging and the best way to get better faster and in turn, in the long run make the most money. My philosophy on poker has always been get better. You can multitable 50 tables of NL$25 now and make $50 an hour or you can study, read 2+2 make $0 an hour now and then in a year make $200 an hour. Also it is a risk vs. reward thing, if the 25/50 NL game looks good and I try it I have the potential to make a ton of money. If I try it and lose then at most I'm going to let myself lose 10k or 15k or whatever.

I don't believe in luck in poker as much as most people, but then again everyone tells me I have the best luck of anyone they know. Looking back though at my bad streaks they are all partly my fault. I'm teaching my dad to play poker and whenver I point out a mistake in his play to him he defends himself and says "better than before though right?" or "well this other player did worse than me right?" - that is the wrong mindset. Goodluck all.

Oh and most important of all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - my 2+2 buddies.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 PM

This is another one of Bruiser's early ones. Its not particularly revolutionary but it sticks in my mind when I'm debating whether to move up or not.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to move up to $2/$4 NLHE even though I'm not very comfortable being there and I readily admit that I'm changing my game at these stakes. On another thread Acesover8s said this is a problem, but I don't think so.

First of all, I think I'm necessarily going to be uncomfortable when I move to higher stakes no matter what preperation. I played at .50/1 for a long time and had a plenty big bankroll but when I moved to 1/2 I still had problems. I just had to move up to 1/2 lose some money for a while and get used to it.

Right now, at the 2/4 I think I just need to play it, I don't think any amount of 1/2 will get me ready for it. So I play there, and I don't even mind if I lose a little bit of money, I consider it an investment. I lose some money now learning how to play those stakes so I can make even more money later. Also, I'm conciously changing my game at that table, it's weak/tight for now until I'm adjusted.

Just some thoughts I had, and also it's a response to acesover8s.

danny

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very analytical, when I play I look at all my big hands (although admittedly I haven't lately and I have been getting sloppy), and then look at whether I got the money in with the best of it and the worst of it and whether it could have been played better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My philosophy on poker has always been get better. You can multitable 50 tables of NL$25 now and make $50 an hour or you can study, read 2+2 make $0 an hour now and then in a year make $200 an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two things Bruiser said, plus something he posted a while back about getting better by playing 1 25/50 game vs. 8 5/10 games (or whatever) are things I think he has done that have helped him do much better than others who have the same or greater ability than him.

It doesn't really matter how much ability or luck Bruiser has compared to you. What matters is what you do to maximize your potential and take advantage of times when you run good. I think Bruiser has done that well.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 PM

congrats to you on all your success.

now if we could just get you laid. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 08:07 PM

are alot of you really successful guys really in your young twenties, a la just turned 21?

i turn 21 in september and im rearing to go...

think my live game is so far behind my online game, really want to hone those physical skills

bruiser can you commenton the live/online mentality switch? or are you almost entirely just online?

and yeah, inspiring. way to be.