Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s 10k strange hand: Poker vs Tournament Poker.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget you promised (again) not to post in any threads in which I participate. No exceptions!

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't forget. I will keep my promise. Any thread in which you partipate I will not post. So whenever I find you participating in a thread I will not post. Please cite one instance in which you have "participated" in a thread that I have not kept that promise with the exception of the Sklansy thread. If you can cite one instance in which that is true then I'll leave this site forever. Oh, one other thing, thanks for "participating" in this thread. It's always nice to have a top profesional, respected by the whole world "participate" in one of your threads. As for your reply....now what was it that you were trying to say?
Please be careful when you reply because if it appears that you are participating in this thread thenI will not be able to answer. Thanks again for "participating."

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you gone loco
Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise behind you is ALWAYS possible with people yet to act. If he had told you a raise was likely that would have failed to allow people like you to makes fouls of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise behind you in the situation described by Sklansky is not likely. In fact it is very unlikely. Because a raise is always possible does not make it likley. At a tough table players finding themselves in this situation in late position or the blinds will not raise without a premium hand and then some might not raise at all. Hands like A,K for instance will the vast majority of the time just call. You might only get a raise from A,A,(unless it's you or some other dope who would just limp) K,K or Q,Q. The Q,Q might just call. The chances of these hands being behind you with 3 or 4 people to act and then someone raising is about 6 percent (this might be high). I call that unlikely and one should assume there is not going to be a raise. Again if one does not feel there is about a 20% chance that someone should raise here one should raise and give someone a chance up front to reraise. By the way I might make a fool of myself by raising but I'm sure that I would never "foul" myself. I don't scare easily.

Vince
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At a tough table players finding themselves in this situation in late position or the blinds will not raise without a premium hand and then some might not raise at all. Hands like A,K for instance will the vast majority of the time just call. You might only get a raise from A,A,(unless it's you or some other dope who would just limp) K,K or Q,Q. The Q,Q might just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. In a 10K tournament with 25-50 blinds you'd never see someone raise a bunch of limpers in late position with, say, any pair, any suited connectors, or any suited ace. Tough players aren't smart enough to build the pot preflop when in late position with high implied-odds hands. They wait for AA or MAYBE KK to punish out-of-position limpers. No, KK is stretching it. You need the other AA out there or you're not getting raised by a tough player.

As perversely fascinating as it is to hear you articulate your idea of tournament strategy, the guy I'd really love to meet is the one who ends up backing you in WPT events.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Gambling games there is a always a definitive correct way to play. The correct way to play is to make the play that yields the highest EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

you lost me here, because this statement is just simply untrue.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:19 AM

Mr. Phillips, why do you bother with my posts? Are you in love with me?

Vince
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 AM

"The correct way to play is to make the play that yields the highest EV."

What is simply untrue about this statement? Better yet what is true? Teach me?.

Vince
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 AM

Since you asked. [ QUOTE ]
Tough players aren't smart enough to build the pot preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is No Limit Holdem not Pot Limit. Most good players do not see the need to build a pot in No limit. Pot building is usually associated with Pot Limit. But being the genius that you are I suppose you think out side the box and build pots for those early limpers that have A,A.

Vince
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 AM

all good players understand how important building a big pot is in deep stack NL.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:14 AM

Puhlease! Players that try "building pots" when the blinds are 25-50 early in a NLH tournament are going to soon be railbirds, incuding Mr. Phillips.

Vince
Old 03-31-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most good players do not see the need to build a pot in No limit. Pot building is usually associated with Pot Limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. How's that backer hunt going? Perhaps you should print a compilation of your most compelling analyses here on 2+2, and offer that binder as evidence that you're a worthwhile investment. I would definitely put this quote on the first page: you don't want to take any chances.