Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Lets see if you guys like this one any better

[ QUOTE ]

have a feeling this should be a fold or push, based upon your read of the player
youre calling when behind and not maximizing profit when ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Folding is most definitely not an option....The only option is call or push.

I think i would call against an unknown opponent but it's close. you played it fine (although i would prefer slightly larger raises on the flop and turn
Old 03-29-2005, 10:23 AM

I like the call on the river. But sometimes after a long day of second best hands, I get weak on the river.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:25 AM

I was pretty sure he didnt have TT or 22 or he wouldve reraised the turn.
I highly doubted he had AK
He was playing hands out of position so I was afraid of AT.

Believe it or not he had QQ
Old 03-29-2005, 10:29 AM

without a good read, a call here is fine.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 AM

You're not making any more money off of QQ anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I was pretty sure he didnt have TT or 22 or he wouldve reraised the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, why would a random opponent reraise the turn with TT and 22 but not A-10......I think it just as likely could have been any of these three hands, and AK is cretainly a possibility.

Iceman, don't take this the wrong way. It's good that you're trying to put opponents on hands, but you tend to narrow down their holdings way too far based on very little information. It's better to consider a wider range of hands unless you have a better read.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:03 AM

like i said this should be a push or fold scenario, so you dont simply call money off when behind, but get more in when youre good

you shouldnt be folding very often at all, without a strong read, obviously (thus should be pushing more)

just meant to clarify my position

if opponent is thoughtless enough to play QQ in this manner, than perhaps they would sometimes call an all in if it wasnt for much more compared to the pot size.

(in response: more ways to make AT then TT, AK is made more ways than KK, but perhaps a KK UTG limp is more likely to happen)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Kagame,

This may very well be a situation hero should be raising all in….It’s probably opponent dependent, and since we had no information to go on, I’m not sure. All we know is opponent is an unknown in the $4bb game at party…Surely if we knew whether we were ahead or behind, it would be a raise or fold situation. But in this case, no reasonable argument can be made for folding.

There is a very real argument that can be made for calling as hero is getting tremendous pot odds but may be behind. There is no way raising will get villain off a better hand, and he will commit his entire stack (which is quite a bit more) if he chooses to raise. Villian also may not pay off a raise with some of the hands that hero beats.

The argument for raising is that there are several hands where hero is ahead where he is likely to get paid off. Ax (maybe), 10-10, 2-2, KK….

This is a very interesting hand because I think it is very close between raising and calling. It is clearly not a raise or fold situation.

[ QUOTE ]
so you dont simply call money off when behind, but get more in when youre good

[/ QUOTE ]

again, the problem is the cards are face down, so villian has no idea wheter he is behind or ahead.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:56 AM

i agree with you about not knowing the cards obviously; thats where a good read would be very valuable here

how can we have no read on a player in a game?

i wouldnt have commented much on this hand if the stacks hadnt been so deep, then its clearly a simple push, for me anyway; as i would consider myself ahead the majority of the time against these players. i also would very rarely fold, but would occassionally to a few players; whom i have a strong read on for being completely passive nut holding rocks.

i just think with such deep stacks being so afraid here is a big mistake, and not very good poker, you have a huge hand, and could be missing huge profit.

i dont know how to work this situation without a stronger read, i was hoping someone could shed some light on the general situation; not just say "no read so just call"

seems like an unsatisfactory solution
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No preflop raise means no AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not one to offer advice on this forum as I usually just try to read, absorb, and ask questions, but this is VERY dangerous thinking.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Actually, being able to see one 10 and 3 As, there are three ways to make both hands. Same goes for KK and A/K.