Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Scientific question about \'The Incredibles\'

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing is that there exists lizards that can walk on water. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them if you googled the idea. You might be able to get some kind of foot size/body weight ratio along with minimum speed kind of system if it is a good website that discusses the phenomenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ Lizard, or Common Basilisk (Basiliscus basiliscus)
Old 03-29-2005, 12:41 AM

I may be wrong, but it's probably more of a matter of aerodynamics. I mean, if we had wings and could run fast enough, we could fly.

Racecars need spoilers to apply downforce or else they'll become light.

So, if humans running fast enough reduces their weight (not their mass, but their WEIGHT...the downforce), then the inertial mass of the displaced water could exceed the weight of the running human, and I think it would be possible.

One possible caveat to this though, is, when running, you are pushing off of the toes of one foot, thus greatly increaing the pressure (weight or mass/area), and I think this would make you sink.

But then again, when I was a sophomore (physics major) in college, the day before the final I had to ask what my professors name was, because I hadn't been in class all semester, so what do I know?

J
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure superman can do this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Superman could [censored] fly... and superman can't fit into any logical argument. I once saw him use "super ventriliquism" and "super hearing" to talk to his dog across the other side of the world. In another book, he was in a quiz show and was asked how high the eifel tower was; he used superspeed to measure the eifel tower and get back to the states before anyone blinked. Why the hell didn't he do that with his dog?

Freakin
Old 03-29-2005, 05:14 AM

Given an infinate amount of speed, yes.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

clark can't do it yet in smallville but the flash can. curiously, neither of their shoes ever wear out.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM

I read an article about this a couple years ago and the number put forth was 65 mph. A human would need to be able to run ~65 mph to do what the lizard does.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Finally saw \'The Incredibles\' last night...

...i had read about the social satire and smartness of the movie (and it was all very perceptive & funny and well-done) but am i a total dork for really enjoying the action aspect?

i was into it when Dash was chased in the jungle and the different ways Elastigirl used her powers to fight & escape and stuff...