Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: do some people really have better luck?(rant... be prepared)

If you seriously believe you have worse luck than everyone else then why not start staking your opponents?

Less radically, it may help you to know that your paranoid fantasy about being the unluckiest guy in the world occurs to most players at some point, a bit like the way most 12 year olds imagine that everyone in the world apart from them might be a zombie.

Of course, someone somewhere really is the unluckiest guy in the world, but I'll lay odds of at least 10,000 to 1 that you're not him.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you remember the time you called a raise with QJs flopped the open ended straight caught it and beat someones AAo? No but you won't forget it if you held the AAo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember that one, but I remember the hand where I crushed AA suited. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I didn't even need cards!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 PM

let me dispute a few points that were made.
1. i don't play above my limit. i play small time SnG's.
2. i'm not a losing player.
3. i don't think that i'm the most unlucky guy in the world.. i also realize that everybody has those thoughts occasionally.

my post wasn't completely irrational. i know taht bad beats stick out more than small wins. i took that into consideration. what i meant was that i haven't won 50% of the coinflip situations over a lot of hands.. i have my AA cracked much more often than i crack other players. what that means is that anything i do win is despite luck. i guess an easy argument can be that ALL poker profit is despite luck, and i understand that.

never the less, if you win less than 50% of the coinflip hands doesn't that make you less lucky than the next guy? is it possible to play an entire 'career' of poker and come out below that 50% mark? i think it might be....
Old 03-27-2005, 12:10 AM

Some people who are lucky at one thing are unlucky at others.

For example, it's well known people who are unlucky at cards are lucky at love. (Are you one of them?)

Also - a lot of people who are lucky at cards are unlucky when it comes to personalities. Ie, they're asswipes.

Some people are born to fathers who beat them. Some people are born rich, or poor, or in-between. Some people marry the wrong woman. Others are lonely their whole lives.

Some people wreck their cars on their 21st birthdays, and never walk again.

What I'm saying is that despite hackneyed replies above, it's entirely possibly you've had a lot of bad luck when it comes to cards.

But I'll bet you've had some good luck when it comes to other things.

Haven't you?

Think about it next time your aces get cracked, smile, and say, "nice hand."
Old 03-27-2005, 01:07 AM

that was a very happy go lucky response. i like the way you think. you're right.. i have very little to complain about in 'real life'. poker is just a game for me, not a profession... but it does drive me crazy. i don't knwo how u pro guys do it. maybe you're the lucky ones i was talking about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it possible to play an entire 'career' of poker and come out below that 50% mark? i think it might be....

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it in anyway possible that some people actually have better luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

/mc
Old 03-27-2005, 04:58 AM

Default I have a suspicion...

At the lower levels... variance is a bitch.

I suspect that you are overestimating the effect of skill vs. luck in your games.

Poker's gambling. Its like playing a game of chess for $1 and afterwards flipping a coin for $3.

How much have you lost over what period of time at what level? Without that information, we can't tell you if you've been unlucky.

Most importantly, you might have had more than your share of bad beats... but that doesn't mean that you are more likely to continue getting them.

The guy that thinks he gets 10s and Js is a fool.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: I have a suspicion...

[ QUOTE ]

Poker's gambling. Its like playing a game of chess for $1 and afterwards flipping a coin for $3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great way to put it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never the less, if you win less than 50% of the coinflip hands doesn't that make you less lucky than the next guy? is it possible to play an entire 'career' of poker and come out below that 50% mark? i think it might be....

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it's possible. none of them are really 50%, so if you're calling more hands where you're at 48% than when you're at 52%, you'll end up below the mark. unless you're at something like 40% win % when you're a 52% fav, i wouldn't worry about it.

and anyway, who cares what % of the coinflips you win in the end. the real test is how much $$ are you +/- in coinflips?