Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Way ahead or way behind?

[ QUOTE ]
This is true and might be the wiser option.

I just really hate check calling all the way wondering if Im beat or not. Thats the only problem I really have with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with the line:

Check-raise the flop, if 3-bet, check fold the turn UI

Is that the information you are receiving has to be VERY accurate.

You propose a line that gets us to the turn for 3 sbs, but the check/check/bet line gets you to the river for 3sbs.

If you are ever 3-bet by a worse hand on the flop, and check fold the turn, its a disaster. Its also a disaster to allow him to get away from TT-QQ, when he would have paid you off with the check/check/bet line.

Raising for information, in and of itself, is generally not great, because it costs too much for information that may be tainted.

EDIT: in response to the hand you discussed: raising for information is less bad in that example for two reasons:

If behind, you can have fewer outs, or be drawing dead (that is nearly impossible here)

Information tends to be more accurate in protected pots.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Way ahead or way behind?

True.

Everything considered though, I dont think Im raising (or possibly playing) KJ that early, suited or not. Depends on the table though. If Im in in this position I think I limp (unless its a loose table), if anybody has a better hand you will hear about it and just call one more bet to see a flop.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Results

Thanks for all the feedback - it appears as though many agree that the original line was correct and that the river ace should not have thrown me off. Here are the results - too bad for the river cause this was an ideal way ahead/way behind situation:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jh Kh (one pair, kings).
UTG+2 has Ah Qd (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 8.66 BB.