Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: I\'m a maroon - A question about when to raise a draw.

Raising flush draws (or any draw for that matter) has to do with equity edges. If your pot equity is 33% (which it is, approximately, for a flush draw) and there are 5 players (including you) in the hand you have a pot equity edge because your "fair share" of the pot is 20%. Combine this concept with a potential free card on the turn and possibly cleaning up pair outs, and there you go.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Raising any street is a good idea, if there are 4 or more players in the hand. It's logical to deduce that every bet/raise going in the pot makes you money in the long run.

To extract the maximum at that particular table, in that particular hand, it might be better to just call. Either play is fine, long-term it is more +EV to raise with 4 or more people in.

You're assuming that the overcallers will never overcall 2 more bets. In today's SSHE games, this is never a given.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:53 PM

Against typical low limit players, I think you are passing up a lot if you are forgoing a CR here.

Some discussion about what if EP puts in a 3 bet, and scares the field out of the hand.

I don't think that happens quite enough to pass up a chance to get extra bets in, when your equity is this large. Lets face it, a CR is a big neutralizer, and will more often than not freeze out EP from putting in another bet.

EVEN when he does pop it - I guarantee you'll get one or two callers that will still call the two extra bets.

Ram and Jam.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 PM

The size of the pot isn't really relevant to whether you should raise. You have at least 33% pot equity and you will be putting in 25% of the money. Put another way you are 2:1 to make your flush by the river and you will be getting 3:1 on your money if everyone calls.

I wouldn't worry about a re-raise. It might happen, but that shouldn't stop you from raising here. With this board you will probably not lose anyone and you might even be able to cap it.