Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

A change of gameplan it seems on UTG+1's part: loose and aggresive you'd figure him to raise preflop with JJ or QQ to narrow the field some, maybe enough to take the pot down there. However, as with any pair if you can see the flop and you flop a set (top set nonetheless) you've gotta have fireworks going off in your head.

A friend of mine plays like that and I'll try it once in a while depending on how the game goes. With a pair of 8's or better try to sometimes just get to the flop to see what piece you have of it. I think we've all been burned enough when having JJ / QQ / KK and that overcard hits....seems to always happen doesn't it?

It's not out the question to figure on two pair or a set, obviously he hit the flop with a few people acting behind him to reraise...he's committing close to half his stack with 2 cards to go. I figure at that point he's pot committed (even if he had limped with kings, he has an overpair and isn't fearing the ace down the road).

Always hard to lay down a set, but I could lay it down in an unraised pot before a raised pot (unless I was staring at JJ or QQ). I can't fault your play in trying to take it but just ran into someone that possibly changed gears on you.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Party 600NL - Bottom set - heavy action

UTG+1 seems loose and aggro and has shown down some weak hands.

LAGs aren't usually limping PF with JJ or QQ and obviously you're not up against 66. The concern I'd have is whether the PF raiser is sandbagging on QQ or JJ, but at this point I'm less worried about that as UTG1 seems to be representing QJ.

IMO, you have two options. You can either blast back, or simply cold call and blast back on the turn. With four players and the tons of draws that might be out there, I think it's much more risky to wait around, especially since two people have indicated they like their hand already. Pot's $327 with three opponents in a PL $600 game. It's already a good size, and you might be totally dominant over the opponent representing a hand. No overly compelling reason to wait around...I'm betting the pot on the spot.

I think you have to risk the possibility that he's over playing a draw like K-10s or 10-9 and flat call.

No you don't. If he's on that sort of hand there's no way he's folding for your reraise. His pot odds alone are too attractive for him. What you want to do is shut out the other two players that might be on those types of hands. The last thing you want is to let someone drawing see another card cheaply. Especially since the possibilities for cards to hurt you could be deep. You have no idea what's a safe card and what's not right now, other than a 7, 5, 4, 3, or 2. That's a lot that could be dangerous. If someone else wants to draw, make 'em pay...the pot's already big enough for you to be okay with just taking it down. And UTG1 will be more inclined to draw for the flop reraise than if you hit him on the turn when he only gets one more card.

- C -
Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Party 600NL - Bottom set - heavy action

[ QUOTE ]

The concern I'd have is whether the PF raiser is sandbagging on QQ or JJ, but at this point I'm less worried about that as UTG1 seems to be representing QJ.

IMO, you have two options. You can either blast back, or simply cold call and blast back on the turn. With four players and the tons of draws that might be out there, I think it's much more risky to wait around, especially since two people have indicated they like their hand already. Pot's $327 with three opponents in a PL $600 game. It's already a good size, and you might be totally dominant over the opponent representing a hand. No overly compelling reason to wait around...I'm betting the pot on the spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This describes my thought process during the hand perfectly.

When the PF raiser folded I really thought I had it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

i played almost exactly the same hand in a live game recently. set over set sucks! next time you'll be the one with JJ though. Barring some sick read I think the money just goes in here.