Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Poker Account Names

Winky, you seem to be saying that choosing a boring, nodescript name is +EV because other players will forget anything they noticed about your style of play.

Two things. First, many poker sites allow players to add "notes" to other players, so they don't have to remember anything themselves. Second, if you've already established a powerful table image with some players, why wouldn't you want them to remember that when you sit down with them again?

Crooked
Old 03-23-2005, 11:21 AM

I got a trick that I think works in a very subtle way. Sure, it's exceptionally borderline +EV, but it works more in a social capacity than anything.

My screen name is associated with a character everybody likes - whatever colour, creed or relegion. It's a friendly, approachable character that everyone can associate with. I get good response at the tables, and people are friendly to me.

Sure, the good players play the same whatever, but there are some people who actually play less tricky against me, because I have engaged with them in genial conversation at some point [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM

memorable name or forgettable..

anyone choose an icon on Pokerstars using the same reasoning?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM

You are an idiot.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:07 PM

I am not saying all players will remember but some won't. I know there are players I remember at 1st glance just by their name. Some I have to look up and search in my DB to see who they are because there name is common. Some I don't even realize I have played with before.

So since I am human and make these mistakes, others that are not as detail oriented as I am will make greater mistakes.

In fact I have a friend that changed his online name because people were giving him flak for it and "playing with him" at the table. Didn't happen often but it was enough.

Lets say a good name is 1% +EV.
Lets say making one successful bluff an hour is 4% +EV.
Lets say me distracting my opponent with a comment when he is making a decision to call my bluff is +1% EV (which I have done successfully)
Lets say because I keep notes on my players thats +5% EV.
Lets say I play correct hands PF +5% EV
Lets say I play well after the flop +15% EV

you see what I am getting at. Every little thing helps. Its not just one thing that makes your game super. Its everything. All these little things added up is a small amount of money extra each hour.

I am in the web design business and to be successful there you count on 1000 different little things to bring traffic to the site. Font size, placement, ads count, content location, how the web user scans the site, what are the colors, and so on. None are the end all be all of the perfect site. They fill a puzzle of efficiency.

People forget names, people forget or remember people. So why not take advantage of that 1:1000 person that forgets your tight and makes a loose call against you. Maybe you see him 1 in 100 days. I got 19,000 players in my data base. Well thats 19 players that twice a year forget who I am. 19 players that will call that extra $6 bet on the river twice a year.

19 players x 2 times a year x $6 = $228.

This is just an example of course but is a good name woth $228 a year?

Every edge counts no matter how small.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:10 PM

personally I would choose the most common one everyone uses on poker starts. But I don't play there
Old 03-23-2005, 02:13 PM

Another edge. If you are always nice to people they tend to be less tricky. Also name can alter that.

Currently I altered my name and how I act to people online. I am always pleasant making funny comments. I don't even attack jerks online when they insult me. I just let them know they are being rude and they get slightly embarrassed.

What I have noticed is that I have been bluffed at less and I can bluff more successfully.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM

I use a screen name that is a rather obscure literary reference to the work of an author I revere. I get +EV from having my name make a statement -- especially as the reference has some relevance to gambling. It's even more enjoyable because I don't think anyone has understood the reference as yet (it's pretty obscure).
Old 03-23-2005, 02:32 PM

I played a guy named "INeverBluff" recently. I lost my whole stack cause he kept bluffing. Damn liar. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a [censored] rude A-hole.

If you thought the OP was a little silly, or just plain wrong, then go ahead and say it. Insulting people just makes you look like a prick and a moron, and really impresses nobody.