Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Party; Weak-tight?

given the turn action, he easily couldve filled in. it would suck to pay 3-bets to see the river and lose to a boat.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 PM

Nice Hand. I'd play it the same on all streets.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 PM

Does anyone raise the flop here? It might drive out MP3 and doesn;t give him the correct odds to call if eh is holding two spades. Plus there is a decent chance you buy a free turn card if you don't improve.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 PM

No one with two spades is folding. Ever. The free card play is the only reason I see for raising here.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 PM

yah-- I'd raise the flop. Hope to fold out mp3 (we'd like him to fold here in case we hit a k or a j right?), hurt the flush draws, and maybe get a free card on the turn. Villan's less likely to give you credit for the straight if you already raised, plus you can feel a little better about just calling the river if villan 3-bet the flop.

The only time I wouldn't raise the flop is if I felt there was a pretty lousy chance of getting a free card (ie. mp3 calls down everything and will automatically bet the turn if it's checked to him)

I like all the other streets though.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm most interested in the river play, but of course, all comments are welcome.

The villain was around 40/0/3 over about 50 hands. He was the "tricky" type.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Pop that river and call a 3-bet.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one with two spades is folding. Ever. The free card play is the only reason I see for raising here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't the point though. The point isn't to make them fold, but rather to force them into an incorrect call. Jets say MP3 is holding something like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You ahve the better hand right now. However by just calling the SBs bet you are giving MP3 the correct odds to call. However if you raise I agree he is going to call anyway, but he will be making an incorrect call to do so.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: preflop play

[ QUOTE ]
The raise from the BB is too loose. You want to build big pots with better hands thand KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raise is more about taking control than building a pot.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:54 PM

A. I'd fold most of my flush draws to a raise here (holding on to one's containing an a or k for high card and backdoor straight value).

B. We don't need the flush draw to fold, we just want to screw up the odds for a flush draw. Granted we're drawing too, but the flush draw doesn't know that and neither does the SB.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if the pfr is standard or not.

Both the villains were loose preflop, and the sb had shown a tendency to play a lot of weak hands and weak draws past the flop - although he'd also been getting lucky, and had built up a big stack.

I think the pfr is okay, against two loose limpers. Here I was hoping to get hu against the sb if I could, who figured to pay me off, if I hit anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty unlikely your PFR was going to get you heads up after MP3 had already put a bet in. I think the PFR is good, but you need to be carefult hat you are making the play for the right reason.

Results?