Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Terri Schiavo\'s tube will be reinserted soon

While I personally cannot figure out how on Earth any court would support murdering this woman, I do not agree with making a law specifically to keep her alive. I read in one paper, I think it was the WP, don't remember for sure though, that the Conservatives "won't LET her DIE" and are "FORCING her to LIVE". This is the type of wording that the liberal media is famous for. Go TRUTH!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congress is the political branch, activism is OK, indeed good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when they overstretch their power.

[ QUOTE ]

Court activism is bad (they are not supposed to be political)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a court issue. Whoever handles it has a heavy responsiblity to be objective.

[ QUOTE ]
Bush won Florida in 2000 in part because the Clinton Administration did not value the freedom of Elian Gonzales. If keeping Terri alive helps JEB in 2008, then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have no morals when an election is at stake? You are simply satisfied with people making self-interest political decisions regardless of the consequences?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some might call it "congressional activism"

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, 'actively avoiding the issues they are supposed to be dealing with like the war and social security' or 'actively pandering to their religious voters who respond to these hot button issues' or 'actively addressing an issue that gets a lot of media attention (see steriods in baseball)'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always laugh when I read statements like this. Every day it's in session, Congress wastes its time with pointless garbage that makes Schiavo look like D-Day. Do a search on some of the speeches these guys make when they want to announce National Lemon Meringue Pie Day or whatever. The concern that Congress is ignoring important issues while focusing on this stuff is silly. Don't worry, they have plenty of time on their hands, and will get back to bilking you out of your tax money in short order.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when they overstretch their power.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only legitimate function of government is to protect the people from eachother. Denying someone food and water is attempted murder, and it is therefore the place for government to intervene.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:36 PM

I knew the first of the three items I listed was the weakest. They sure do waste a lot of time. That is no excuse.

I'll change it to 'actively try and grab power' or maybe 'actively try and subvert the constitution.'
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Denying someone food and water is attempted murder, and it is therefore the place for government to intervene.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not. It is the place for the courts and the state to decide. They decided and confirmed several times that Terry HAD made clear to her friends and husband her strong will to be euthanized under such circumstances. Her parents, the ones intervening, have admitted that Terry had never discussed such an issue with them. Further, she has no cognitive ability. She has no concept of self. She is a body that simply reacts. She is no more than a series of different reflexes. It is difficult to say that somone would end up being murdered in this case; its more like when you stop watering a plant.

Bottom line, she wanted to die under these circumstances and her parents are selfishly attempting to keep her alive. Even more important, congress has no place in this issue.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Court activism is bad (they are not supposed to be political)

[/ QUOTE ]

BGC is actually right here. Whoever doesn't understand this is a total fool.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:53 PM

You honestly believe it is acceptable for the Congress of the U.S. to:

1. Pass a law that does and will only affect one woman. (The law was intentionally written to have this effect, exclusively).

2. Intervene in a state issue, thus undermining the sovereignty of the Florida courts and legislature.

Personally, I think this whole thing is fscking hilarious. Conservatives who consider themselves to be states rights advocates are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not only that, but based on point 1 above, they are essentially commiting governmental activism. Extremely ironic of guys like Bill Frist, don't you think?

With all the duplicity and hypocracy coming from the right on this one, I'm just waiting for traditional conservatives' heads to start exploding.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:29 PM

I never said anything specific about the Schaivo case. My point was that judicial activism is generally a bad thing, although I think the term is overused by a lot of people, but Congressional activism is not.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Default I think what bothers me the most is her starving to death

I am undecided as to what should ultimately be the fate of Terry. It seems like she has no hope of recovery but her parents swear that she reacts to them and her ex it looks like has less than honorable motivations. With no written document I left to decide between the word or parents and her ex. It's an easy decision for me, but the courts who heard much more evidence decided differently. However what really bothers me is the idea of just letting her starve and die of thirst. Wouldn't the most humane thing be, if the decision to let her die stands, to use some type of poison gas or shot?