Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Default late multi - whats my action?

Pls give me a pointer. I'm questioning my own flopbetting?

Setting: Stars 11$ rebuy - 1250 in, down to 300. Avg ~17k.
I have 15k, 2 off button when its folded to me and I find 66. Blinds 4/800 ante 50 or 100, and I raise till 2,4k. Fold to SB who has 16k and smoothcalls.

Flop T,5,3 rainbow. SB bets 2k into a 6k pot. Whats my move?
Fold, call or raise?
No reads - just been moved to the table so I'll accept fold as the easy way out. No bother - just move on to the next hand. Probably the safest way out...
Call - I don't much like it. But I guess some would play it out like that.
Raise. If u elect this approach - how much?

My thinking: Unless he has a T - a middle pair or hit three of a kind I'm ahead. Bigger pair most certainly would have reraised preflop ( although slowplayin' seems to be fashionably in vogue these days).

Ok - I'm going with this hand and I think I have the best hand - but his bet is scaring me. I raise 6,5k - another 4,5k on top of his 2 - leaving him with 11 k if he folds - and myself with about 5-6k if he reraises me all in. Then I can make a new decision based on his action.

Later I have been thinking ( second guessing??) that the right move ought to be all in and let him make the decision. Only raising him 4,5k gives him great odds (call 4,5 for a pot of 14-15k which would be like 1:3) Actually I think I made a slight math error in the heath of the battle. Pot now beeing 8,5k I figured a 6,5k raise would be enough to make him fold ( beeing more than 2/3 of the pot) but I completely forgot that he already had put down a bet of 2k which quite changes the picture ... :-) Oh well.

Anyway - he calls Leaving us both with about 6k. The turn is another lowcard ( maybe a 2 or 3). He goes all in - and I'm very unhappy and probably far behind. Pot is now 25k and I call off my last 5K.

What could he possibly have?
Answer in white:

<font color="white"> Of course he showing AJ makes the basis for a standard bad beat story when stars magic rivers an A - lol </font>

But actually I'm more interested in my own flopaction. Did I make a weak bet letting him in cheap? Should I have gone all in to eliminate his odds further or did I make a good bet leaving him with lousy odds, but myself with a chance to fold if he shows further strength by reraising me and going all in - which I would have to interpret as a stronger hand than mine. And then maybe I could make a laydown.

Apparently I could not lay the hand down for his turnbet. Pot being 25k and me with 5k. Since I took this approach later I might as well have put all the chippers in on the flop? Correct, or just being result oriented based on the outcome and his cards?

Ty for your response.