Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Play along with suited connectors

[ QUOTE ]

flop action sucks. i honestly might dump this without the backdoor flush draw. call and reevaluate.

i'd probably call rather than raise. reevaluate your hand based on the turn card and action. your equity is a bit suspect here. you could be outkicked, etc. rather than push a tiny edge.. you might improve and punish the field. you might miss and save a bet if the action is heavy. you might see a check or two on a nice card and be able to raise and protect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your flop advice is spot on, btw.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:20 AM

OK, general consensus is I should have called the flop instead of raising. I'm generally a bit too aggressive postflop, and have worked on curbing that a bit. I think this is one spot I should have worked a little harder.

Anyway I folded, which I think was a mistake, and also kind of odd given the statement I just typed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], so that was the end of that session.

Here's the rest of the hand.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think shadow should read Ed Miller's "Taking the Training Wheels Off" post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. I'm just better than Ed Miller. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, I have some requirements for playing this than optimal cards. Position (which we have) and a big pot (which we don't have).

To quote Ed back at you, size of the pot is the most important factor in determining how to play. And I'm not trying to make the most out of every marginal situation.

I know that I'm not good enough to play 89s in a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The size of the pot is a very important consideration for playing hands postflop. Preflop, though, you should be looking for situations like this. With two poor players (note that this is an assumption, but I'm stating the case for why to play this hand), you should be looking for reasons to play, instead of looking for reasons not to play.

If you take a hand that is about average, or slightly better than, what they'll be limping with, your postflop skills should be more than adequate to make up for this.

As you move up, you need to start considering the impact that small pots will have on your winrate. It's actually quite large. From what I've seen of your postflop game, you're good enough that you really shouldn't be folding this here. Seriously.

Rob
Old 03-15-2005, 01:25 AM

Isn't this a reverse implied odds situation?

i.e. you may have the best hand now but with 3 other players and 20 clean overcards to your top pair, you should consider folding outright?

Lemme know...i'm new at this analyzing others play thing...