Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: I never heard Rush Limbaugh say anything racist.

There is no correct way to speak. There is a correct way to write in English, but there isn't one correct way to speak. Everyone in this country has an accent, whether they know it or not.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:45 PM

"I've been making Jew jokes my whole life."

Caveat emptor.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:47 PM

You don't see any difference in kind between making fun of John Kerry, Pelosi, or Reid, and the things quoted in the original post?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok he's wrong here, but aren't a very disproportionate percentage of them black? Nothing wrong with stating the facts, though I would agree Rush exaggerated here. Maybe this heavy overrepresentation is something the black community and black leaders should more strongly address--like Bill Cosby does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok he's wrong here, but aren't a very disproportionate percentage of them poor? Nothing wrong with stating the facts, though I would agree Rush exaggerated here. Maybe this heavy overrepresentation is something the poorcommunity and poor leaders should more strongly address--like Bill Cosby does.

economic reasons, my man. portraying criminal tendancies as racially and not economicly or socially dependant is a subtle, modern form of racisim.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a moderately bad joke

[/ QUOTE ]

a moderatly bad racist joke...
Old 03-12-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Caveat emptor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I need new friends? You might be right, as they are jewish after all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Caveat emptor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I need new friends? You might be right, as they are jewish after all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

These sorts of jokes are funny in a very particular context in that the joke isn't that you're implying that jews suck; rather, you're getting a kick out of being ironically flagrant because you don't really mean what you say.

The problem with this type of humor is that the irony is only known to you when out of context.

You certainly have the right to have non-PC feelings and say non-PC things, but consider the previous sentence.

If you're only making the joke to please yourself, then disregard my post. That's fair enough.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no correct way to speak. There is a correct way to write in English, but there isn't one correct way to speak. Everyone in this country has an accent, whether they know it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everyone may have an accent, but the accent should not be CONTRARY to the way the phonetics of the word dictate it should be pronounced.

Example: EITHER may be correctly pronounced in two ways: EE-ther (long "e") or I-ther (long "i"). Both are correct but depending on locale one or the other may be typical or customary. This is an example of accent.

Example: BOIL may correctly be pronounced BOIL. BOIL may NOT correctly be pronounced "BURL". In the second case the accent is not merely a regional difference, but is also WRONG and is a severe bastardization of the correct phonetic pronunciation of the word.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:47 PM

I agree the economic factor is significant, bholdr, but I would be curious as to the crime rates between the following groups in America: poor blacks, poor Hispanics, poor whites, poor Asians.

I would suspect that the order listed above also represents the descending order of crime rate per group.

I recall reading that blacks have a very disproportionate representation in prisons.

If the above order of crime rate per poor group is accurate it doesn't mean it is due to race, but rather likely due to cultural aspects somehow.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Caveat emptor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I talked on my free cell phone minutes today for over an hour with a very good old friend of mine who happens to be Jewish. We spent perhaps ten minutes trading Jewish jokes and had a blast doing it. You should have been there Andy[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Part of the reason that blacks are so disproportionately represented in prisons is because a lot of them are busted for nonviolent drug crimes. You don't see cops going into the suburbs looking for cocaine use, but we all know that it exists.

The stats that blacks are likely to commit crime are often brought up in politics debates, and I really don't understand why. People who commit violent crimes should be punished, regardless of skin color. I think that many crimes like fraud could be better solved with financial restitution, including interest. But I digress.