Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: big draw / new to the game

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you're folding AJos to a raise on button to all players in this game you are making a mistake...For instance, if a loose aggresive player open-raises from the cut-off, i think a reraise might be in order...

[/ QUOTE ]

reread turnip's post above.

he said calling an UTG raise w AJo is bad, and it is.

and he said he almost never cold-calls w it preflop.

edit: turnip beat me to it. bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM

being new here and mostly playing SSNL and MTT I would like to know how you would play the villians hand, if someone would be kind enough to elaborate?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 01:09 PM

with a set of queens I am willing to play a fairly big pot if and only if I think villian has a marginal hand he will give me action with. it's easy for me to say after the fact, but I would probably put fydodor on a pair + heart that is basically making blocking bets trying to keep the pot under control.

I probably raise the turn and I definitely bet more on the river.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:06 PM

Thank you all for the responses. It seems the only critisism is that I shouldn't have played it at all. I blame my recent foray into LAGville at sh limit. I was in the middle of upping my vpip there when I ventured into the nl.

I agree that villian should have fired back with something on flop or turn. He was obviously very frightened by that board but my bets were small enough to encourage him to stay. Which was the point I guess of my bets. Make them of a size that he would hang about while I waited for my draw to come in. Any heart please. I'll never ask for anything again. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
also, your implied odds aren't very good here at all, I'd say you have a very mediocre draw. what can he be calling you with that has you in good shape here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was thinking there was only a small chance I was actually ahead after the flop but any heart is the nuts for me (as long as the board does not subsequently pair) and probably the other 3 tens are good for me as well - unless he raised pf with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My real concerns are AA, KK, QQ, AK, and AQ which are a good chunk of what most UTG's normally raise with, although there are certainly other hands he could have. Wouldn't it be nice if he had TT with a heart?

So if he has one of those hands for trips or 2 big pair I think I could get a reasonable amount out of him. For instance with the pot already at ~$400 and a heart dropping on the river, I think he calls another $100-150.

Of course it a heart drops on the turn and the board pairs on the river I could be in big trouble. You guys are right. AJo is a bitch.