Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Lost too much with KK?

Well, Since I don't know what you lost too, either a duece, pocket 55's or Pocket 77's, 64c, but probably not pocket 66s. Means you either didn't raise pre-flop enough or bet enough on the flop.

Edit: Okay, lost to 77. My chicken [censored] poker style tells me the pot is big enough on the flop to try and take it with a pot size bet.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Thanks guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I tend to agree I should have bet more on the flop, probably about 75% or so; probably my biggest mistake
was the big turn bet which committed me to the pot - I guess around 200 might would have been a lot better.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 AM

If you think he'll call, then bet more on the flop. If not, your bet was fine. He made a mistake chasing a 2-outer and got there. I don't think he made 22*125 off you for implied odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Whoever said what will he call $400 w/ on the turn that you will beat, I can think of any pair that many players would. Preflop numbers don't mean much postflop...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he made 22*125 off you for implied odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont play NL (trying to pick it up a little from reading around here), so I could be utterly wrong.

However, I figure that villain was thinking Hero had AK or something, and was trying to pick up the pot. Maybe villain was thinking that he might have the best hand on the flop, and was calling hero's bluff. He then backed into trips, the lucky little [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM

you are the sixth person to have put money in this pot and you raise it 40 bucks. you just got lucky you werent against a deuce and you had the best hand for one turn.
you want to play your hands so you can read your opponents, not give a handfull of people 20 to 1 odds for beating kings with a surprise hand.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:16 PM

after rereading the hand, I didn't realize this wasn't heads-up after the flop - disregard all my previous posts in this thread. Being multiway - tread carefully postflop on that board.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:55 PM

I don't play at these limits, but in the $2-5 game I play in, I frequently see people limping with AA-QQ in EP. So if you plan to raise PF to 80-100 and EP comes over the top do you plan on calling out of position or reraising?

I suppose that is very read dependent but a higher raise certainly allows you to play this hand much easier as you are likely to be heads up and with a better idea of your opponent(s) holdings. It also has a better shot of preventing a limp->callfest.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Not the 6th Ray - the 4th. Also it's pot-limit - I think the max I could have raised was $10 more. I'm not sure where you get the 20 to 1 odds number from - are you looking at a different post?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not the 6th Ray - the 4th. Also it's pot-limit - I think the max I could have raised was $10 more. I'm not sure where you get the 20 to 1 odds number from - are you looking at a different post?

[/ QUOTE ]

He meant 20 to 1 implied odds on your stack.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You raised $50 so your opponents had to pay an additional $45 in the hopes that they could flop a set and take your stack ($915).

So 915 : 45 ~ 20: 1