Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Warning: Very long

This has certainly been insteresting. It's still up in the air as to exactly how much of my downswing has been play and how much has been luck. After pouring over some of these numbers, I can certainly say that luck has been a big factor. Most of the following comparisons are between my play and Alobar's.

The first thing I noticed is that I'm way behind monetarily in regards to flushes and boats. When I normalised Alobar's winnings per hand type to my smaller and less reliable sample size, I found that the difference in just those hands types would take me to break even. The underperformance of these hands are attributed to two main things. First is their W$SD%. Both of these hands types were about 8% less. The second key reason is how often they went to showdown. It appears that I was getting paid off with my big hands ~12% less than in Alobar's sample.

Str8's appear to just not be getting there as much for me. Their WSD% and W$SD% are about the same.

Sets and trips seem to be the silver lining, because they currently are little a head of the curve.

Last we have the 1-pair, 2-pair, and high card hands. I am lumping them together since having a pair on the board turns A high into a pair, and 22 into 2-pair in the eyes of Poker Tracker. This is where play really becomes a factor and I have noticed a couple of discrepancies.

First, tt looks like I am betting or calling the flop with no pair a little to often. Probably from a steal raise with something like QJ than the flop rags and the SB/BB bets into me. It also looks like I'm not showing down my one pair hands enough. The last thing for this set of hand types is the issue of value betting. While my 1-pair and 2-pair hands have about the same W$SD% as Alobar's, they appear to not be winning as much. I estimate I missing at least 1BB/100 just from that.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone that posted a screenshot. I think you've really helped me get pointed in the right direction to analyse my game.

WiteKnite
Old 03-09-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Warning: Very long

Luck is always a big factor in a downswing if you are a winning player- you can be sure of that... at the same time, your conclusions are not really justified from the data provided by 1 person. Alot of the times, different styles of play skew these types of numbers.

Hope things turn around
Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Weird . . .

First -- yes, better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Second -- can anyone tell me why my total # hands on the Misc tab is 3000 (14k instead of 17k) less than my total # of hands in the "General" tab?!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Weird . . .

[ QUOTE ]
First -- yes, better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Second -- can anyone tell me why my total # hands on the Misc tab is 3000 (14k instead of 17k) less than my total # of hands in the "General" tab?!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I dunno, I was wondering about that too. I was thinking maybe its all the times you raise PF and get no callers?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:07 AM

Or the times that the hand doesn't get to the river so there's no complete board? I dunno.

I was trying to compare my 5/10 misc stats to my 10/20 ones, didn't find anything outrageously different -- more big hands at 5/10, more "high card" or "one pair" at 10/20, but not a huge difference. The only BIG difference was that 8000/30000 hands were missing from the 5/10 tab, but 3000/18000 hands were missing from 10/20. That's a very big difference. Maybe more hands at 10/20 are going to showdown in general? People are calling down with less?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Those missing hands represent the number of times there was no flop dealt. It looks like at 10/20 people are more likely to defend their blinds. Has your blind defense increased as well?

Also with the increased aggression there, more players could be 3-betting an early position raise instead of folding.

WiteKnite
Old 05-05-2005, 09:27 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because I think it's interesting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

According to the help file:
[ QUOTE ]
Show Only Hands That Were Not Folded - filters this section and[/list]the next section so that only hands that were not folded are displayed. This is more useful for hands played at Paradise and Stars as Party does not list your final hand unless you go to showdown so clicking this box won't have any impact on those hands from Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, clearly, clicking that button does have an effect. I dunno, maybe the help file is old.

In anycase, I took the stats (Show Only Hands... box unchecked because this should help negate postflop play differences) from Alobar, Joseki and Maxx added them up and got ratios for how often they occur. Their individual scores are all pretty close to the average (average %dif = 1.75%). The averages ratios are:
<ul type="square">
Three Of A Kind: 0.039749685 (e.g. for alobar, 2651/65921 = 0.040214)
Straight:______0.034141919
Flush:________0.022510669
Full House:____0.018012958[/list]
So what this should allow, is if you're on a losing streak and your ratios are low, you can blame it on bad luck with confidence [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]