Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Poker and School

Don't go to school and play poker. Just go to the exams, that's what i do and is really working for me!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Dude AMEN to this. I remember all that 1 credit/0 credit crap....though at least the classes are cool [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Can't agree more. I'm thinking back to the turds I went to school with and can't even imagine what they woulda done with online poker.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Treat school like a job. Go to class and study from 9 to 5. Don't sit down and tard out from noon to 3 when you've got that break. Dedicate yourself to 9 to 5 and you'll be amazed at how much you get done and how much time you have to lose money to me.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:00 PM

My question is, why do people value education so very much? I'm a senior at an Ivy uni btw. All these people run around like worker ants doing whatever assignment about the politics of Indonesia or what have you, stuff that I think is profoundly useless...

Of course the hardest working students here easily put in more work some weeks than I do all year.

But back to the point, I'm sure grades don't matter after you're about 25 at the latest, and if I want to learn things I can go to the library and pick up books... so why the hubbub about college?? Can anyone explain? I've got 10 weeks left to figure it out...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:12 PM

because those grades do matter, specially at an ivy man. Cause nobody works after college they go to grad school. If you're going to start your own buisness then the grades won't, but if you're trying to work for someone else, show me someone who get a prefessional level job without providing a gpa before 30.

-JDanz
Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 PM

GPA lasts that long? I got a so-called professional job already lined up for the fall... but I guess I should keep up the effort for one last term.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because those grades do matter, specially at an ivy man. Cause nobody works after college they go to grad school. If you're going to start your own buisness then the grades won't, but if you're trying to work for someone else, show me someone who get a prefessional level job without providing a gpa before 30.

-JDanz

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I didn't have to provide a GPA when I was hired, at age 24.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 PM

I probably play more than I should as a student, but I still manage to do well in my courses. I'm doing a major that I really enjoy (math) so I don't mind buckling down a couple of a week to do an assignment. I also have a degree in engineering, and I found the work there to be too much of a grind. I can understand people doing these types of degrees can have the tendency to slake off if the work doesn't personally interest them.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i am very lucky that i didn't discover poker until after college.

[/ QUOTE ]