Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 02:27 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: $60-$120 Hand

i'm with thefishywhale; calling the raise on the flop and checkraising the turn gives you more of an opportunity to win the hand unimproved, even if he does have something
Old 09-21-2002, 04:23 PM

I think 3-betting on the flop is best only if you feel your opponent would often raise with a pair worse than queens (pocket sevens for example).

Otherwise, I see no reason not to draw cheaply while still retaining your bluffing opportunities later in the hand. You can still check/raise the turn for example, or bet the river if you miss.

It's also possible you both have a club draw. When that's the case, you might find yourself bluffing on the river with the best hand. I think that's Ok. You should still bet the river often enough to allow him to sometimes make the mistake of throwing a small pair away. IMO-
Old 09-21-2002, 04:33 PM

Default Aha, again I see that you´ve...

stolen my idea and expounded on it to give the impression that it was, in fact, your own. But I wont be fooled!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 04:58 PM

I agree totally. If this was no limit hold'em or pot limit making a big raise here and going all in or putting your opponent all in would make Jim's statement about being the favorite with 2 cards to come valid thinking IMO.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:12 PM

Default Results

With over a grand in the pot, I called for another $120. My opponent said: "I missed" and mucked his hand.

I think you guys are right about just calling on the flop when raised and then waiting until the turn to check-raise. I have found in these big games, that the players don't respect raises and 3-bets on the flop but they will frequently fold when check-raised on fourth.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:22 AM

Hi Tom:

I think you have it right. In no limit, you would just go ahead in most situations and take advantage of your edge right there. In limit, you are frequently better off in giving up some of your current edge if it creates the opportunity for you to sometimes make that edge back plus a whole lot more.

MM
Old 09-23-2002, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Results

"they will frequently fold when check-raised on fourth."

I've never played as big as 60-120, but in the 30-60 and 40-80 where I play, I see a helluva lot more check-raising on the turn then there is in 15-30 or 20-40, and they will frequently call or 3-bet, since the range of hands with which the check-raiser check-raises is much wider than in the smaller games.