Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: good play?

Calling to see what he was gonna do on the turn.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
80% of people would not reraise pre-flop with JJ? Even if that is true, wasn't his play after the flop more indicative of JJ or AQ than AA/KK/QQ/AK? What % of people would reraise with AQ pre-flop? I am very new to big bet hold'em, but I was assuming that there were plenty of loose aggressive players in the big bet games on Party, just as there are in the limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've shown strength by raising a couple of EP limpers to a sizeable amount. He doesn't seem scared and has reraised you out of position. It is very, very unlikely he would do this with AQ. JJ is just about possible. Surely you must agree he has AA/KK/QQ/AK?

People try not to reraise out of position without huge hands (and, if the conditions are good, calling may well be best) because they become so hard to play postflop out of position.

In this example, Villain has made it abundantly clear to you that he has a premium hand. If you had for example, TT, you could quite happily fold on any flop where you don't hit your set. If you hit it, you may bust him.

This shows why position is so vital in NLHE. It doesn't really correspond to limit because the BB would be correct to 3bet his JJ here, knowing full well he can see a showdown for only 3 more BB if he chooses.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is very, very unlikely he would do this with AQ. JJ is just about possible. Surely you must agree he has AA/KK/QQ/AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does he have to have those hands. I play big NL games and have reraised out of position with every possible combination of cards. Not everyone plays sooo straight forward. For him not to be able to call your raise on the turn, he must have had complete air. I dont think he is laying down any reasonable hand for your small raise on the turn. OR, he is SUPER WEAK TIGHT.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:56 PM

few people will fold for 350 more in a 1675 pot even if they have tpgk, like KJ. fold flop, no implied, no nothing, as ciaffone says, you have a hand that belongs in the muck.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 PM

Ok, I get that he is supposed to have AA/KK/QQ/AK, but does his play after the flop indicate he has one of those hands? Don't you think he would have bet more with any of those hands, especially on the turn?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM

This is laughable.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:35 PM

STOP PLAYING THIS HIGH IMMEDIATELY.

"Then when he only bet $300 into a $700 pot on the turn, I decided to make a play"

Do you realize he'll be getting something like 4.75:1 after your turn push? IF he folds any hand that he bet, he sucks. Like, he's crazy dumb. You shouldn't expect him to fold -ever-.

And that's precisely why you can't call on the flop to 'run a bluff' on the turn. You'll be bluffing into a flopped set fairly often and you won't have the requisite folding equity (given your stack) vs. AA/AK to make the play profitable.

Geezus.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:16 AM

What if he has AQ or JJ? Do you think he will call getting 4.75 to 1? By the way, your statement that I should never expect him to fold is ridiculous. I may have played the hand terribly, but do you really think the chance that he folds a hand better than mine is 0%?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if he has AQ or JJ? Do you think he will call getting 4.75 to 1? By the way, your statement that I should never expect him to fold is ridiculous. I may have played the hand terribly, but do you really think the chance that he folds a hand better than mine is 0%?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty damn close to 0%.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 PM

since you had $1,000 in front of u, assume you just began game and did not have a read on the players and they dont have read on you. if you give bb benefit of doubt, not likely u have better hand than him after flop. thus you are gambling by going all in. if he cant beat you, might as well let him bluff on river too as you cant be giving up that much.