Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: fights

you can feel good about yourself knowing that you were *not* the drunken tool starting [censored] with total strangers because he is so pathetic that he needs to bully others in order to feel good about himself... seriously this guy's a joke, laugh at him.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, passing up a fight to come home drunk and register a 2+2 account is very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect ! But I should say, I am a long time lurker and occasional poster here. I registered this login to ask stupid questions to a group I have a lot of respect for.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm drunk. On my way home tonight, some guy I didn't know at all yells something insulting at me, then immediatly yells something insulting about being a puss for not fighting him for the first insulting thing he said. I have backed down very rarely from fights in my life. However, I'm getting older and starting to think this kind of this is stupid bullshit. But after his second round of insults, I, were it not for my more level headed friends, would have tried to kick his ass. Am I a moron? Am I a pussy? Am I an adult? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar situation a while back and acted the same. I decided it was just being an adult and not some [censored] white trash piece of [censored] loser who still thinks and acts like he is in highschool.

There is a time and place to kick someone's ass but that wasn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not like this guy banged your wife or your sister or something. Avoiding a fight was definitely +EV in this situation.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:46 AM

You are correct that fighting has some positives and not fighting has some negatives, but the possible negatives of fighting outweigh these. Even if you are sure you can beat the sh*t out of the other guy, you could still break your hand in the process or have one of his friends hit you over the head with a bottle. If you really want to show the guy up, have sex with his girlfriend and send him pictures.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:47 AM

So, in other words, the best-case scenario for you is you feel better about beating up a moron? While the worst-case scenarios include getting the chit kicked out of you, getting arrested, getting sued, going to jail/prison, getting killed, getting robbed, and felling terrible about yourself.

Is it even close for you? In a case like this, it shouldn't be.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:47 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to show the guy up, have sex with his girlfriend and send him pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you'll have a reason to fight.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:59 AM

It sounds like what you need is not a good fight but some help sorting out your priorities and beliefs.

You have problems asserting yourself in the world, which translates into pent-up aggression, which is not good for your heart or blood pressure. I suggest you take it out on someone emotionally vulnerable and smaller than you in a lopsided, manipulative relationship.

Oh, wait, that's an awful idea. Just shoot yourself.

NT
Old 03-05-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, in other words, the best-case scenario for you is you feel better about beating up a moron? While the worst-case scenarios include getting the chit kicked out of you, getting arrested, getting sued, going to jail/prison, getting killed, getting robbed, and felling terrible about yourself.

Is it even close for you? In a case like this, it shouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great response. So while reading peoples' thoughts, I had a few of my own.

1) If getting into a fight is so -EV, does that mean it's +EV to start a fight? Probably not, because both parties have the same small positive expectation (yeah, I'm awesome) but a large negative expectation (damnit, I just got sued).

2) I wouldn't mind hearing a few opposing responses.

3) I'm not sure I put the apostrophe in the right place in the word "peoples'." Also, that fact that I am even thinking about this nuance while I am as drunk as I am astounds me.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:02 AM

I think you are nearing the point where the creation of this 2nd account is +EV [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 04:03 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
If getting into a fight is so -EV, does that mean it's +EV to start a fight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if you have a lot of folding equity.