Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: I keep losing (annoying content)

I still disagree with you, but now respect your argument a LOT more. Maybe I'm just the type who learns by jumping right in.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still disagree with you, but now respect your argument a LOT more. Maybe I'm just the type who learns by jumping right in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, no flame war? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Obviously I wasn't (or got very unlucky when I started playing more hands). I suspect the former.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awww, no flame war?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 9:45am and I haven't been to bed. I am in no condition for a flame war.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Post some hands you are unsure about. People here are keen to offer views on how you did. It does help, even if the ego needs to take a few bruises.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is some of the worst advice I have ever heard. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not, and it's not close. Although I would agree that it isn't optimum, it is much better than limping too much. If you're opening, usually you should be raising. If you're playing suited connectors, suited aces or small pocket pairs with limpers ahead, you should be limping. Ofsuit brodways should generally be played raise or fold (yes there are some exceptions).
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM

A good place to start looking at your play are specific hands where you have lost a ton of money. Analyze these hands after the fact. Look at each decision, do the math, research the forums for similiar hands, post the hand if necessary.

Another good place is to look at what type of hands are profitable for you and what type of hands are costing you money. Pokertracker is useful for this. Again analyze indiviual hands to see if you can find your errors, research the forums, cut back on playing certain types of hands that are costing you money until you can understand better why they are costing you money.

If you do this after every session you will see a gradual improvement in your results and your understanding of the game will grow.

You will soon know when you are running bad and when you are playing bad and what to do about it.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:32 PM

Hi,
Look at your play 2 months ago and compare it to your game today. The problem is not your good plays that are not holding up, but the wrong plays that you don't even realize you are making yet. Sometimes you just need experience. As you play more things will start to click. You will add a new piece to your game, and look back 2 months from now and realize that you have improved. The key is realizing the consequences of being new to the game. I have seen steady progress in my game through a year and a half, and hope that I will continue to improve my game for many years to come. Have some patience with your development.

Good Luck,
Joe
Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My biggest leak when I started was completing the small blind far too often. It's not that I was completing with garbage, I just didn't have the experience to play post-flop without a top quality hand.

Rev

[/ QUOTE ]

This was one of my biggest mistakes too. Getting rid of this one little leak is saving me hundreds of dollars a month. I'd complete the SB with any ace, unsuited connectors, any two sooted cards (not that these plays are *always* wrong, but it is wrong to always make them). The times where I'd miss the flop with my garbage would outnumber the times I made something on the flop by a wide margin. Even more expensive was when I'd end up with a draw and chase to the river with two cards that I shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

If you find yourself completing a lot of SB's, try this trick -- keep track of how much money you invest in hands in the SB that you normally wouldn't be playing in early position (ie. don't count the hands you'd normally play in early position like AK or KK -- only count the garbage hands), and then subtract that dollar amount from your winnings on those hands. I was absolutely shocked to see how much money I was losing as SB. It was basically accounting for almost all of my losses as the rest of my game was fairly strong.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
Look at your play 2 months ago and compare it to your game today. The problem is not your good plays that are not holding up, but the wrong plays that you don't even realize you are making yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things for the OP to look for:
1) Are you getting the correct pot odds or implied odds for every single call you make? Do you know what the pot odds are for every situation?
2) When you play a hand, do you think about position before deciding what to do? Or do you just call the same hands no matter your position?
3) Do you cold-call more often than re-raise?
4) Do you cold-call raises on the button with mediocre holdings?
5) Do you frequently complete the SB with marginal to poor hands?
6) Do you value-bet on the river when you have a made hand?
7) When it is checked around to you pre-flop in late position, do you more often raise or do you call -- allowing the BB to see the flop "for free"?

I'm sure there are a few hundred others...but these were my biggest leaks starting out. The SB one was the worst, though...it lasted the longest, and it was most insiduous as I didn't realize how much I was losing every 10th hand thanks to the SB.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people insist on trying to make themselves look clever without offering any useful advice and end up showing themselves to be the ignorant pricks they are?

I did not say that the way to play poker is always to raise. I said that by playing ultra tight whilst learning you should automatically be raising almost every time you enter the pot. I realise it may be hard for you to follow such a complicated logical step but if you are playing ultra tight you are playing hands no worse than AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK,AQ and maybe AJ/TT in LP. Ergo you should almost always be raising when you enter the pot in a low limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people who really play this tight? Holy [censored]. That is absolutely dreadful.
-James