Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Dunks we haven\'t seen

When I was a kid I pulled off the sickest dunk ever. The basket was 8ft. and I bounced the ball (from the free throw line) on the ground and it came up from the bottom of the hoop, hit the backboard and I jammed it. My friends were going nuts.

It would be pretty tough to pull off on a 10ft. rim, because getting the bounce right was extremely hard. With some practice I think someone could pull it off.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I used to play alot at Run n' Shoot in Atlanta an I want to say I saw Rob Martin(aka 50 from the And1 team) pull a 540 dunk off.

[/ QUOTE ]

He plays up at the Tech gym once or twice a week. I have never had the pleasure of seeing him pull off a 540 though.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
&lt;-- Ish was in the process of learning a 540 dunk before he got hurt last year. He can still fly, but I don't think he has the legs for it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best part of that dunk is how he holds onto the rim to clear the defender. If her just slammed it and let go he would crash to the floor in a heap with the other player, but he skillfully avoids that.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 PM

Being a 5' 7" dude who has no chance at dunking I have often dreamed of some awesome dunks. A couple I like that I think are possible:

Take off two feet, immediately as you jump throw the ball under your legs with some front spin. Then in the air catch the ball behind your back and throw it down two handed.

Shoot a tre, while it is in the air run towards basket. Swish tre and grab ball from under hoop and do some sort of windmill or reverse dunk.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoot a tre, while it is in the air run towards basket. Swish tre and grab ball from under hoop and do some sort of windmill or reverse dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think this is possible, but the arc on the three would have to be WAY high, however if you were to swish it and your timing is right, the dunk part would be relatively simple.

I don't know how feasible it would be in a competition though, because for the full effect you've have to swish the three on the first attempt. It's more likely you'd pull a Chris Anderson and miss 11 in a row (or whatever it was).

I still think if you start from the baseline, like you were going to run under the basket and jam it on the reverse side, a 540 wouldn't be too hard (relatively speaking). It would only take an extra spin. I'd think the coordination to make the dunk when spinning that fast would be the tough part.

If only I was 6'8 instead of 5'8 ...
Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 PM

- Approach from the side with the ball high, squeak it on the backboard on the near side of the basket without releasing it, tuck the ball, float under the basket, and do a reverse two-hander on the far side.

- Cradle the ball around chest level with one arm (like you're going to give the ball noogies). Approach with the ball on the basket side, take off, but instead of doing the Nance/Jordan one-hand-off-to-the-side, you use your off-hand to spike the ball through the hoop.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:39 PM

isn't The Goat the guy who supposedly cut his underarm on the rim...on the way down?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Approach from the side with the ball high, squeak it on the backboard on the near side of the basket without releasing it, tuck the ball, float under the basket, and do a reverse two-hander on the far side.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't look that good. I've seen it. It -is- super tough, but it's just not impressive.

~D
Old 03-01-2005, 11:19 PM

From halfcourt do about 3 cartwheels using the ball instead of your two hands and then use your momentum after the last one to dunk from about 3/4 free-throw length.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a 5' 7" dude who has no chance at dunking I have often dreamed of some awesome dunks. A couple I like that I think are possible:

Take off two feet, immediately as you jump throw the ball under your legs with some front spin. Then in the air catch the ball behind your back and throw it down two handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'v actually wondered about a similar thing but as basically a "double" dunk. Jump and do a fairly basic nasty 1 handed dunk from the side of the rim. Catch the ball in your off hand and hold on to the rim and let your momentum carry you across so you can jam it through again. Obviously as a short fat white guy I have no chance of making this happen but I'd like to see someone try.