Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Bringing it in for the max, PP $20/$40 stud

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at this level, an ace with 2 big cards is usually an automatic raise, especially with nothing that threatening behind you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, what makes you think they'll have two big cards? I don't usually get 2 big cards with my ace? And what could possibly be threatening behind you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why the aces are likely to raise. Even if they have a King or Queen in their hand. If you are up against a pair of 10s or Js they still have 2 overs. My point is that this is a great setup of an Ace to make a play for the antes
Old 02-28-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but he can't have a pair of aces since you have them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

His opponents don't know that.

I like jon's reasoning.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but he can't have a pair of aces since you have them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beer knows that, but his opponents don't know that. His question was whether those people acting after a potential raise from one of the two A's that's showing on the board would be less likely to give the raiser credit for having a pair of A's, since there are two A's showing.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

at this level, an ace with 2 big cards is usually an automatic raise, especially with nothing that threatening behind you.

Well, what makes you think they'll have two big cards? I don't usually get 2 big cards with my ace? And what could possibly be threatening behind you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why the aces are likely to raise. Even if they have a King or Queen in their hand. If you are up against a pair of 10s or Js they still have 2 overs. My point is that this is a great setup of an Ace to make a play for the antes

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this how you play it? I guess I might be missing something.

Isn't the correct play with a smaller pair to call if an ace raises if there is another dead ace showing?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:22 PM

The aces are not tight. Not sure I'd call anyone in this game tight, including myself (unfortunately).

What you describe did happen, one of the middle cards raised and I got to 3 bet headsup and made 2 pair which won. Anyone try to wait till 5th to raise here?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Yes, to some extent I agree here. If I bring in the min and an ace raises, I think one more caller at least is likely. Then again, my big bring in might induce someone who would have raised to just call, setting off the limp fest.

I really hate dead cards, especially in this loose-aggro game, which is why I thought this was an interesting situation.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Bartholow,

I think it's your best play. The A's are conterfeited (they don't know how much they really are) the 7's are conterfeited Ac, Ad, 7d, 7s, Td, 9s, Jd so that leaves 4 Diamonds, and 2 Spades no hearts or clubs. So nobody is going to call with a diamond flush going. Maybe spades but for a double bet I doubt it. Maybe a straight but then you have 7,9,t,j on the board to deal with for a double bet. Of course someone could have K's, Q's, or maybe J's would call a double bet. I like your bet.

Paul
Old 02-28-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the correct play with a smaller pair to call if an ace raises if there is another dead ace showing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, kinda.

how liberal you are with these "small pairs calls" should depend on the ante and how big your pair is. The reason you should call more is because your XXY might be better than the A's AZZ. However, if your XX is still likely to be lower than the ZZ the opponent holds fold.

Be more likely to call with JJ6...less likely to call with 33K.

I am a font of obvious information...YES...YES