Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Is it worth it?

I see three very important parts of learning limit for you.

IMHO there will be more players trying the $100 NL games than those that will try the $15/$30 games. If this is true, then the NL will have more opportunity for continued good games.

I am not a good sample, because I've been playing a long time, and spent a year online playing mostly below $5/$10 before getting in much action at $10/$20 and $15/$30 - however, in my case, the upper games will offer 1BB/hour or less when multi-tables 3 or 4 games.

I know the conventional wisdom says 300BB minimum bankroll, but I also see plenty of people saying 500BB is more realistic and comfortable (and I like 500-1000BB) because of the variance in the game. It is easy to drop $1000 on a single game, I don't play four, but can see a $5K bad night as perhaps not common, but certainly an occuranace that needs to be anticipated. Going through $5k at the $100 or $200 buy-in NL games would involve a terrible streak of much more than a couple bad days.

Because of these three aspects of online play, I don't see much sense in a person that does well at NL spending 6 months learning limit.

I do see a lot of merit in learning any new poker game however, so I think playing an hour or two a couple times a week at $2/$4 as being constructive.

If you have any belief that online games will be outlawed or become too full of good players, then you need to have the limit play ability to fall back on at B&M, as NL games are much tougher to find.

Also, if you are a bit bored, you might want to play some tournaments. The $10 and $20 buy-ins are too much work for too little (in my case), but the $100 +10 and $200 +$20 NL tournaments are still filled with players happy to help you reach the money.

Good luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 08:15 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it took me a loooooooong time to win over $150/hr, and I still don't have enough hands to prove I can win like that consistently. I don't think THAT many people are capable of this.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it took me a loooooooong time to win over $150/hr, and I still don't have enough hands to prove I can win like that consistently. I don't think THAT many people are capable of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really what I was looking for. I was pretty sure the claims that "it is a lot easier to make 150$/hr playing limit online than no limit" was offbase.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll continue to work my way up the NL ladder.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Well, heres the brutally honest answer.

It seems you can beat the 1-2 for that rate. Congrats. Problem is once you start getting higher in limits, the fish either aren't there in abundance or are not there altogether. Once you step into the 3-4 and up your win rate will drop.

There are a lot better mid/high limit games either online or live then there are NL games.

You have a lot of very good NL players making their money by playing limit online.

El Diablo, Scrub, turnipmonster, and myself to name a few.

Much easier money to be made in limit once you get higher. Finding consistently good multitable games at 2/4 and above is very rare.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, heres the brutally honest answer.

It seems you can beat the 1-2 for that rate. Congrats. Problem is once you start getting higher in limits, the fish either aren't there in abundance or are not there altogether. Once you step into the 3-4 and up your win rate will drop.

There are a lot better mid/high limit games either online or live then there are NL games.

You have a lot of very good NL players making their money by playing limit online.

El Diablo, Scrub, turnipmonster, and myself to name a few.

Much easier money to be made in limit once you get higher. Finding consistently good multitable games at 2/4 and above is very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree that when you get to 5/10 it's getting a bit too tricky to multitable for most people (myself included).

But at 2/4 I still find it very doable and you can probably aim for about $200/hr.

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I've purchased SSHE, but I think I'm just gonna ride it out in NL for the time being. Make hay whilst the sun shines.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Ah yes! Nice read. It is indeed Ramanujan. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]